have to say i prefer extract brewing to ag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
maybe its because i dont have it downpath completly yet, but i have to say i enjoy extract brewing more. i only have about 6 ag batches, and a ton of extract brews, all pretty good. extract is easy, quicker, indoors, less cleaning, etc. allgrain is cheaper.

That's whats great about this hobby. You can do it however suits you best. Personally I prefer AG by a long shot. I prefer the extra control, and more involved process. I also enjoy brewing outdoors.

FWIW it did take me 6 or so ag batches to feel completely comfortable with the process so I felt I could relax while doing it.

I agree- nothing wrong with liking extract brewing more! I think that some very experienced brewers still do extract brewing because it's convenient for them and they love the results.

I am the type of person who likes to tinker with stuff all the time- new burner, new grain mill, growing hops, bigger batches- so I'm always trying something new. I've gone from batch sparging to fly sparging, back to batch sparging and now back to fly sparging. I'm always putzing around with something with my brew gear. That's because I like doing that as part of my hobby. If it got to be a pain or inconvenience, I'd stop doing it!

I do both, and like them both. For my mass-consumption beer (read: for BBQs/parties), I'll do an extract batch or two, because it's easier and I have a recipe that is reliable and really well-received (Minute Wheat). For myself and my beer-snob friends, it's AG, where I can experiment. I have several friends who are homebrewers, and we all swap tips and discussion about DIY projects that keep the hobby interesting.

Moral of this story: Whatever floats your boat, man!

I moved to AG for cost and interest in the process myself, but there's no question that extract is quicker and simpler. Maybe when the novelty wears off I'll move back to extract now and then for when I want to shave some time and trouble off my brew nights. If the beer you want can be made well multiple ways, that's great.

I moved to AG for cost and interest in the process myself, but there's no question that extract is quicker and simpler. Maybe when the novelty wears off I'll move back to extract now and then for when I want to shave some time and trouble off my brew nights. If the beer you want can be made well multiple ways, that's great.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Moral of this story: Whatever floats your boat, man!

There are many ways to make beer the right way...I can't think of a 'wrong' way. Hell, even craigtube is right in his own way.

AG + Bulk Purchase = Big Savings.

No doubt Extract is quicker and easier, but except for time, AG is nearly as easy once you've done it enough. I'm only 3 batches in, and still find it a bit mysterious, but I think a few more and I'll be comfortable with it. My beer hasn't been worse for the effort either, so far. So far I like the savings and hands-on that I get from AG, but have recently considered extract for a quick bang-out on a batch.

i talked to the guy who runs my local home brew store. He said he does both. It is a time thing for him. I hve to agree if i want to brew on a friday night when i get home from work Extract. Plus living in a TH storage is a premium. But i do like a Ag grain brew

The guy that owns my LHBS still brews extract with steeping grains and he has been brewing 20+ years. I got an extract kit for Christmas from my daughters. I guess I could have brought it back for credit and bought all grain ingredients, but I didn't. It actually was a pretty darn good beer and super easy, too!

I prefer extracts mostly because i simply do not have the time for AG, that and my extracts taste freakin fantastic!!! I have done two side by side comparisons with my extracts and AG's and you cannot tell the difference. It's funny too because i have one friend who has been brewing for several more years than I and swears by only doing AG. One night i gave him 2 bottles of homebrew the first i said was extract and the other was AG and he said the AG was WAYYYY better. Then i told him the extract was the AG and vice versa, his face turned red and he shut up. He has never bothered me since about still doing extracts and really enjoys drinking them.

Personally i think most of the twangs and issues people have with extracts are rookie mistakes. Once you develop a good process and learn not to rush things and fine tune some processes with steeping grains and doing partials you will get some EXCELLENT award winning beers.

I do still like doing AG when i have the time because it's fun.....but i prefer extracts. Most people on this board will disagree with me but so what, i do what i like to do.

I suppose to sum it up here. Do what thou will and it shall be the whole of the Law... Alister Crowley... I do all grain all the time strictly for the control and savings, but, to each thier own. Ima god. F'n all grain masterpieces. All hail HELL OR HIGH WATER BREWERY!!! HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAA!!!! (evil laugh.. kinda mr. burnsish and stewieish...) :cool::eek::rockin::drunk:

So what is the extra time investing in AG brewing? I can usually go start to finish on a extract kit in about 3 hours, probably could do it in about 2 if I really hustled...

Problem is most of the beers I like at the store cost between $10 - $16 a six, and sometimes $15 a four pack.. That is the reason I started brewing.. I can make a big beer for about $45 - $60 depending on the brew and get 8 six packs.. Thats quite the savings!!

I did my first ag batch last weekend. Then on Friday I brewed an extract batch. The next batch will probably be a pre-hopped kit. I may get more into all grain, but at this point I don't see myself giving up extract brewing. I agree that all grain is cheaper. But that saving requires some investment in equipment. I save about $5 on ingredients, but then had to spend $20 on a cooler. I may be able to save more by buying in bulk, but then I have to buy a grain mill.

As far as more control. You can adjust your mash temperature to get different amounts of fermentable and unfermentable sugars. But does anyone do this? Have you been pleased with the results? Or do you just mash at the same temp. every time?

Other then that, what control do you feel you can gain, that cannot be achieved from a partial mash? When I look at the different ways to brew, from the pre-hoped kit, to extract with steeping grains, to partial mashes, to all grain. It's seems like each step adds to your control, but each step gives you less additional control then the previous step. When you go from a pre-hopped kit to extract with steeping grains, you gain a ton of control over your recipe. It seems that just about all beer styles can be made with steeping grains and extracts. However, there are a handful of grains that must be mashed. So when you go up to partial mashes, you gain a little more control over the beer, but the gain isn't nearly as big as going from pre-hopped kits to extract with steeping grains. When you go to all grain, you gain a little more control, but that gain is even smaller. While it seems that each step gets a little smaller in terms of gaining control, the steps get bigger in terms of equipment and effort.

AG adds about 2 hours for the mash and sparging. I never purchased a mill, so bulk grain purchases are out along with any real cost savings. Mostly I do partial mashes, but for an IPA I don't see any point in anything other than extract, you can't taste the malt anyway.

I like them both.
When I do an all grain batch, I crush my grains at the store and get everything weighed out and ready. I will usually grab some extract to keep in the closet in case I feel like doing something at the same time.

I can usually get an AG and an Extract brew running simultaneously.
While grains are mashing, my extract brew has already finished the boil. :rockin:

Some people equate extract brewing to making Kool-Aid.
Me... I like Kool-Aid and don't mind it once in a while.

+1 OP. 3 hours is my extract brew time and right now that's all I care to spend at one time. I've had AG brewers taste my beer and it was comparable. I think temp and yeast count control easily affect beer more than AG vs extract.

Everybody has their reasons. Extract is def easier and quicker...but I never got into homebrewing for the ease and quickness. And with me it has never been about 'having beer' (I could get it from the store much easier, quicker, and cheaper). I got into homebrewing because I like the brewing process...and with AG there's a little more brewing process to love. That's really the only reason I brew AG...or brew at all for that matter.

I started with extract and it was fun. It is a good way to brew.

I challenge anyone to come forward and say brewing has been less expensive since going AG... you are lyers who say so... The equipment and toys to be purchased for AG brewing are literally endless, so the couple dollars you save per batch don't cover it IME.

I am with Bobby, when AG brewing becomes too much work I will stop brewing. Buying beer is cheaper, quicker, and easier, with more consistent and better results. This hobby is fun, a challenge, and a creative outlet for me, not a quick cheap way to make booze.

I switched to AG after a year of extract, probably about 10 batches. I've done 5 AG batches now and am still really getting the hang of it. I definitely like the fact that it is more involved than extract - I feel like I'm really making beer - but results wise I'm I'd say my best extract efforts compare well to the worst AG efforts, but my best beers have been AG batches. I can see me knocking out an extract batch - particularly hefeweizen, I made two extract batches of that and the results were outstanding, I can't see how an AG batch could possibly taste better.

I challenge anyone to come forward and say brewing has been less expensive since going AG... you are lyers who say so... The equipment and toys to be purchased for AG brewing are literally endless, so the couple dollars you save per batch don't cover it IME.
I challenge you to name any equipment or toys I have purchased in order to switch from extract to AG.;)

All I did was drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of my first fermenting bucket and plop that inside my first bottling bucket and there was my lauter tun (only additional piece I needed). I still use the same kettle, carboys, racking cane, burner, etc.

Switching from bottling to kegs-in-a-keezer...that def took some money.:)

So far all of my all grains batches have been great. My extracts/partial mashes & no boils have had some clunkers. For me the combo of all grain and dry Safale yeasts have been best. And a tightly controlled temperature fermentation with good sanitation works best.

The only negative for me is cleaning out the damn Mash Tun - a royal pain!

I wrote a long time ago in this blog, Why Can't we all get along?

But it hasn't changed, I STILL consider myself neither an All Grain Brewer, nor an extract brewer, but a homebrewer I strive to make the best beer possible whether it is an extract with grain, or partial mash on my stove or an AG batch outside....And I have FUN doing both...and that's really more important to me...this is a hobby, afterall.

:mug:

I've been brewing for about 20 years, strictly extract. For me it's space and time. In an apartment, there isn't anyplace to put the additional equipment. Working 65+ hours a week, I don't have an extra three hours or so.

But, as someone else said, the bottom line is, we're all brewing, making good beer, and enjoying ourselves. There is absolutely room for all of us.

I challenge you to name any equipment or toys I have purchased in order to switch from extract to AG.;)

All I did was drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of my first fermenting bucket and plop that inside my first bottling bucket and there was my lauter tun (only additional piece I needed). I still use the same kettle, carboys, racking cane, burner, etc.

Switching from bottling to kegs-in-a-keezer...that def took some money.:)

I bought some toys, but I'd say I spent a total of $150 going from Extract to AG, and a good part of that was really going from Partial Boil to Full boil ($25 8g aluminum pot, $75 or so counterflow chiller, $50+ cooler MLT)

Now, I just spent $400 this weekend on kegs/etc, and I probably wouldn't have done that while doing extract...so maybe...

Back