Anyone from Winnipeg out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
Hey, been brewing for a year and a half now and just curious if there's any Winnipeg brewers out there? Looking to create a local network.

What do you prefer to brew/ how do you brew? Let's swap stories over some homebrew!

I am! I hear there is a pretty active brewing community including several clubs - but I mostly brew on my own.

Mostly I do partial mash BIAB. I tend to make a lot of wheat beers and Belgian ales since that's what I like to drink and selection at the LC is so limited.

Let me know if you ever want to swap a few bottles or get in on a bulk grain order :mug:

right on, I do Parital BIAB as well, and also extract depending on how much time I have in a brew day. I brew mostly English ales but the odd pilsner or california common.

another winnipegger here.

Started out doing the add water and walk away kits. Doing extracts now and slowly making my way towards all grain. I brew on my own (my dad doesn wine) and I love it.

Where does everyone get their stuff? I like to go to Grape and Grain on Osborne

I generally go to Grape and Grain because it's conveniently located for me. I bought my bottles from Brewer's Direct, and I'll occasionally pick up other supplies there.

If anyone is interested in putting together a bulk order let me know! I wouldn't mind picking up a 50lb bag of 2-row at some point.

Another Jets fan here. I brew all grain, mosty IPAs and wheats. Started about a year ago and ditched the bottles for a homemade 5 keg keezer.

I buy most of my ingredients from Grape and Grain, and most of my hardware from Ontario Beer Kegs.

Count me in too. I make whatever crosses my mind, usually IPA's. Don't have the setup for lagers yet, so I am limited to ales for now. Also I am all grain, getting my stuff from Grape and Grain.

I'd be down for a bulk order of 2row. also get my ingredients at grape and grain, no other real alternative in town. make a few different styles, usually IPAs, lagers, saison, RIS for winter, fruit wheats for summer (always do a watermelon wheat and strawberry wheat), the odd oak aged porter. would save a good amount if I could pickup 200lb of 2row for cheap, would make lagers come out to probably $0.10/beer which is crazy compared to $2 for bud at the LC.

Another Winnipegger! Who knew..

Been doing this for a couple of years, quite slowly. Great hobby, got started at the grape and grain with Scotty's starter kit and those wort-in-a-bag kits. Those made decent beer, then I got hooked.. Made my own bag for biab (forum entry for a small tallboy (8 gal), chiller, etc. I love making all the stuff. Just bought a used freezer and ordered a RPi for a fermentation chamber! Hoping to make a lager.

We should setup a brew swap...

Do you guys know of any local courses? I'd love to get samples of off flavors. I sometimes get offs in my beers but It's hard to identify them...

I'd be down to swap some beers. Just finishing off the last of a double batch of lager myself! Turned out great with Saflager w34/70 using the fast lager method from the brulosphy guy on reddit homebrew forums. No idea on local courses, just figured it out myself from when I fermented too hot (pre freezer) or sparged hot etc.

Great, sounds good. I was hoping for more response :) I'm a small scale brewer (2-3gallon batches) and a little low right now. anyone else up for a beer swap?

As for beer course, I am not sure if any are offered to the public, but I used to work with CMBTC (Canadian Malt Barley Technical Centre) here in Winnipeg, one of the highest ranking scientific brewing and malt barley programs in the world. Google them. I was involved in a taste panel on most Fridays (get paid to drink beer), and we did a very thorough off flavor training. Very good training involved, however, you quickly turn into an unbearable beer snob and start picking faults out of every beer you drink.

Greetings from Winnipeg! I brew 10 Gallon all grain batches with my buddy and business partner. We recently opened up a homebrew shop in Winnipeg so feel free to come check us out. The shop is called Grain To Glass and is located at 579 St-Mary's Road. We're currently working on our website but I have about %80 of what we carry online. www.graintoglass.ca We sell bulk base malt as well as hops by the pound. So far we've been open for only 12 days but the response has been awesome. I've met a lot of brewers from River City Brewers as well as the Brew Bombers so feel free to stop in for a chat even if you don't need anything. We're open 7 days a week. If you're looking for fresh Wyeast everything I have in stock has a production date between May 20-27 2015. A lot of brewers have been really happy to be able to get fresh yeast at a reasonable price. Cheers!

Another winnipeger here! Just getting into the hobby, I've got 3 extract brews under my belt (Heavily hopped IPA's the lot of them). Plan on stepping it up to all grain sometime soon, just gotta get some more equipment in place!

Anyone want to do a bulk order on hops? I was looking at Yakima valley hops and they have a blowout sale on their 2014 hopes now that its time to harvest this year's crop. They have hops for as low as 4-5 bucks a pound! But shipping is 35 USD :S. If we could get 4 or 5 people together for an order it would still be a bargain.

Hey guys I'm in winnipeg for a few days and was wondering where a guy might find a selection of sour, lambic, wild beers in the winnipeg area. Would live to get my hands on anything cantillion or maybe a cuvee de rank or a nice gouze.thanks

Another Winnipeg here, started 2 years ago with festabrew then moved to extract, and then to all grain biab. I also built a keggerator that has 2 kegs in it. As far as what I brew it seems to change all the time. Not sure if there is a style of beer I have tried that I didn't like. I seem to go with the season for sure. Darks in the winter, pales and wheat in the summer.

Looks like this thread hasn't been active for awhile, another Winnipeger here. Started brewing about a year ago and so far have only used the kits such as coopers, muntons etc... where its add water and walk away.
I get most of my stuff from Brewer's direct because its in my area but started making the trip to Grain to Glass and the guys there really know their stuff. shout out to @guitarguy6

I would be interested in doing some homebrew swaps or even just getting together for a few pints and discussion if anyone is interested.

Back