I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LRB, we've got a vacation home in Pismo and am here now. Still haven't been to Barrelhouse, but have tasted a few of their brews and am really impressed. The photos of their facility look amazing. I know they spent a LOT of money opening up.

Snaps, you probably already know about the Pismo Brewing company. If not check it out its at 361 Pomeroy. Nice, friendly little pub and the beer is pretty good.

Lol heeeeell no

Well, I grew up por (couldn't afford the second "o") you eat what you can. Lots for can veggies, brined and pickled meats. Worked on an Amish farm from 8 til I turned 16 for eggs, milk, butter,veggies, and pork. Meat wise we ate what came off my pellet rifle, and trap line. The furs bought my first 22 cal Remington for $35 and a box of shells we ate meat at least 5 times a week after that. Drew the line at opossum, and skunk. Beaver, deer, muskrat, coon, fox, rabbit, squirrel, pigeons and fish were regular on my dinner table growing up in Wisconsin. We picked wild Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, and cherries. We harvested asparagus from ditches along roadways and sold, traded, and canned. (still hate the taste to this day) I would trade the wealth of knowledge that I picked up as a kid,we read played board and card games didn't have a television til I was a senior in H.S. when my mom remarried.

Well, I grew up por (couldn't afford the second "o") you eat what you can. Lots for can veggies, brined and pickled meats. Worked on an Amish farm from 8 til I turned 16 for eggs, milk, butter,veggies, and pork. Meat wise we ate what came off my pellet rifle, and trap line. The furs bought my first 22 cal Remington for $35 and a box of shells we ate meat at least 5 times a week after that. Drew the line at opossum, and skunk. Beaver, deer, muskrat, coon, fox, rabbit, squirrel, pigeons and fish were regular on my dinner table growing up in Wisconsin. We picked wild Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, and cherries. We harvested asparagus from ditches along roadways and sold, traded, and canned. (still hate the taste to this day) I would not trade the wealth of knowledge that I picked up as a kid,we read played board and card games didn't have a television til I was a senior in H.S. when my mom remarried.

Fixed that for you Beaks.

Sounds like a very rewarding childhood, to be self sustaining is not only a skill but I believe instills strong work ethic and humility. Humble only cause you don't take for granted what many of us do.

Fixed that for you Beaks.

Sounds like a very rewarding childhood, to be self sustaining is not only a skill but I believe instills strong work ethic and humility. Humble only cause you don't take for granted what many of us do.

Thank you, Dan. I chuckle at the end of every month perfect attendance where I work adds an extra $20 and a extra $60 per quarter. Out of 125 hourly employees only 16 of us still have perfect attendance. I remember my early jobs you incentive for attendance was you still had a job the next week.

Like the fish pond, did you ever mention which Island your new house is on?

That's awesome LRB. Paso Robles is just on the outside of the valley. I knew there were plenty of vineyards there but didn't know there was a brewery

On a side note, anybody ever hear of, Enrique Iglesias? Iglesias sounds familiar but that was 20 years ago. Maybe this is his son.

Anyway, he plays a song called, "Hero". Great guitar instrumentals. My daughter learned the song, still learning really but pretty damn good right now. Now it seems that anybody aside from me can put a foot in the door of my house and my daughter will have them leaving playing well this song. It really is a beautiful piece of music.

Some play well..Others enjoy listening. I'm in the latter because I have no talent in the music department.

That's okay..
Julio Iglesias is his father.

Hey, look what was in my possum trap this morning!! Raccoons have been getting my chickens so I put the trap out. :)
What a pretty future hat.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
It was actually pretty good. That is, if you like chamomile mint tea.

Well, I grew up por (couldn't afford the second "o") you eat what you can. Lots for can veggies, brined and pickled meats. Worked on an Amish farm from 8 til I turned 16 for eggs, milk, butter,veggies, and pork. Meat wise we ate what came off my pellet rifle, and trap line. The furs bought my first 22 cal Remington for $35 and a box of shells we ate meat at least 5 times a week after that. Drew the line at opossum, and skunk. Beaver, deer, muskrat, coon, fox, rabbit, squirrel, pigeons and fish were regular on my dinner table growing up in Wisconsin. We picked wild Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, and cherries. We harvested asparagus from ditches along roadways and sold, traded, and canned. (still hate the taste to this day) I would trade the wealth of knowledge that I picked up as a kid,we read played board and card games didn't have a television til I was a senior in H.S. when my mom remarried.
Reminds me a little of how I grew up. Only in the city. Not so much hunting, but figuring out how to make a couple extra bucks. That, and where you could get food that was still edible but not salable anymore.

Thank you, Dan. I chuckle at the end of every month perfect attendance where I work adds an extra $20 and a extra $60 per quarter. Out of 125 hourly employees only 16 of us still have perfect attendance. I remember my early jobs you incentive for attendance was you still had a job the next week.

Like the fish pond, did you ever mention which Island your new house is on?
Exactly. If you don't go to work, you don't have a job anymore. The number one reason the company I work for fires people is attendance. Really? You can't even show up for work?

Sorry, Beaks I didn't mention the island. It's Oahu. We bought a Townhouse on the west side of the island on the slopes of Makakilo. Amazing how cool it is up there, always a nice breeze and the temp around 75 during the day and cooler at night.. I'm sort of trading down square property and yard wise, but the average single family home in Hawaii is $650,000! Not a snowballs chance in hell I could afford that. The town house is pretty neat. Four levels. I'm kinda happy about having a place with a small yard and the exterior maintenance and grounds taken care of, of course there is a hefty monthly maintenance fee included.

Hello, friends.

I think I'm a bit down right now. Moving is exciting. Moving is terrifying. It's a big month for my wife, daughter and I. The youngest child is going off to college. I'm renting out this house. Times wiill never be the same.

I know this is a beer brewing forum but I do use it as a social outlet and place to talk. Just want to say thanks to you all.

This place, HBT is a wonderful place. This particular thread is a lifesaver

Cheers to you all! :mug:with a few bananas! :ban::ban: and a pipe! :pipe:

Something doesn't look right about this picture, but that's a flood light strapped to my forehead, so I could see to check the traps tonight. Hubby said, what are you doing out here? He thought I was a wild animal when he heard the noises and our dog barking. Thought he'd get a good pic of a little big foot, but got my picture instead.

meheadlight.jpg

Hey all. Just checking in and what timing...Dan is actually making the move. I'm am exited for you my friend. You should be too. I wish I had something so adventurous going on in my life. I am going fishing in a leaky boat tomorrow and relying on a '57 Evinrude to get me around...

Something doesn't look right about this picture, but that's a flood light strapped to my forehead, so I could see to check the traps tonight. Hubby said, what are you doing out here? He thought I was a wild animal when he heard the noises and our dog barking. Thought he'd get a good pic of a little big foot, but got my picture instead.

I have that exact same picture from my trail cam last deer season. See:

140823d1376109053-i-like-time-night-hbt-meheadlight.jpg

You weren't in the UP were you?

Ya know, Ischiavo? You are a really good person. You haven't been around lately but you are always happily welcomed here. Truly hope we get an opportunity to drink beer together and talk **** one of these days.

Cheers my friend!

Hey all. Just checking in and what timing...Dan is actually making the move. I'm am exited for you my friend. You should be too. I wish I had something so adventurous going on in my life. I am going fishing in a leaky boat tomorrow and relying on a '57 Evinrude to get me around...

Going fishing on a leaky boat with an old Evinrude motor makes me think of home. We all have our memories of home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, Ischiavo? You are a really good person. You haven't been around lately but you are always happily welcomed here. Truly hope we get an opportunity to drink beer together and talk **** one of these days.

Cheers my friend!

It's actually "lschiavo";) I forgive you...

I have been away for a while but all the good people I have "met" here are part of my life now. I can't stay away for long (and am always lurking). I have a good feeling about your move. Maybe I will visit you soon (wifey wants to go back to Hawaii) and we'll talk ****-faced;)

It's actually "lschiavo";) I forgive you...

I have been away for a while but all the good people I have "met" here are part of my life now. I can't stay away for long (and am always lurking). I have a good feeling about your move. Maybe I will visit you soon (wifey wants to go back to Hawaii) and we'll talk ****-faced;)

Give me about six months. Bought the place, it's nice, not spectacular. Wife is there now.

I'll get there eventually and then my friend. The house is open to you and your family. We have a spare bedroom, things might be a bit crowded but man, that don't matter. Family is family.. :mug:

Going fishing on a leaky boat with an old Evinrude motor makes me think of home. We all have our memories of home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QneCplDdnA

We are on the same page my friend. I was playing some John Denver for my boys the other night. "Sunshine on My Shoulders" was my daughters favorite song back when she was three. The boys seem to like Johnny Cash better. I'm actually a metal-head but can appreciate good music in all forms.

Give me about six months. Bought the place, it's nice, not spectacular. Wife is there now.

I'll get there eventually and then my friend. The house is open to you and your family. We have a spare bedroom, things might be a bit crowded but man, that don't matter. Family is family.. :mug:

You're the best man! It WILL be crowded with the six of us in that bedroom. My boys will destroy your house (even if you tell them not to). So let's set a date, I'll book a flight:D

We will meet up someday...

Your kids have great taste in music.

Not sure about yours (I'm just teasing about that)

I figure it this way. If some outrageous event occurred in my life and I had to choose sight or sound. I'd lose my sight and keep on hearing. Music is most important. Doesn't really matter which music is chosen. Music is, heaven. Many different genres, not all liked. But those we do love? Life wouldn't be the same without.

I need to hit the sack.

Goodnight lschiavo, and goodnight HBT.

Dan

Your kids have great taste in music.

Not sure about yours (I'm just teasing about that)

I figure it this way. If some outrageous event occurred in my life and I had to choose sight or sound. I'd lose my sight and keep on hearing. Music is most important. Doesn't really matter which music is chosen. Music is, heaven. Many different genres, not all liked. But those we do love? Life wouldn't be the same without.

I need to hit the sack.

Goodnight lschiavo, and goodnight HBT.

Dan

Right on...Over and Out.

Hello, friends.

I think I'm a bit down right now. Moving is exciting. Moving is terrifying. It's a big month for my wife, daughter and I. The youngest child is going off to college. I'm renting out this house. Times wiill never be the same.

I know this is a beer brewing forum but I do use it as a social outlet and place to talk. Just want to say thanks to you all.

This place, HBT is a wonderful place. This particular thread is a lifesaver

Cheers to you all! :mug:with a few bananas! :ban::ban: and a pipe! :pipe:

Dan, if you didn't rent the house or move your children will still go. Life is all about change from the cradle to the grave. Life is a sea of motion, fight it or ride with doesn't matter it will keep moving and changing. 13 years ago my wife and I married July first and by August first we had move to Florida and started new jobs. Exciting, terrifying, sad(missing friends and family) BUT with just the two of us together in a small 540sq Apt. we grew closer. I found the meaning of Soulmate, that my wife was my best friend I had always said. Now she is much more I miss her even when she has just gone to the store down the street. Ride these waves my friend for the tops of the waves are all you see looking back. Embrace and Enjoy!

Daryl

Happy Brew Day to me, time to dance. :ban::ban:

I have been brewing since 11 this morning, almost 6 hours and still not done with my blueberry rice "not a wine" and not quite a beer either, but brewed like beer with a mash. Took 4 hours at 150 before the starches started turning to sugar. I didn't have any of the enzyme I needed on hand, so substituted with other stuff that contained the needed enzymes; banana peel, ground corn meal, a little honey, crushed raisins, oh and the blueberries, also crushed, for good measure. All rice as the grain bill. Finally, getting sweeter and sweeter as it continues to mash in 2 pots on the stove top. Still raining in Florida. Tastes like blueberry rice pudding in liquid form.

Happy Brew Day to me, time to dance. :ban::ban:

I have been brewing since 11 this morning, almost 6 hours and still not done with my blueberry rice "not a wine" and not quite a beer either, but brewed like beer with a mash. Took 4 hours at 150 before the starches started turning to sugar. I didn't have any of the enzyme I needed on hand, so substituted with other stuff that contained the needed enzymes; banana peel, ground corn meal, a little honey, crushed raisins, oh and the blueberries, also crushed, for good measure. All rice as the grain bill. Finally, getting sweeter and sweeter as it continues to mash in 2 pots on the stove top. Still raining in Florida. Tastes like blueberry rice pudding in liquid form.

?!?!?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

I was trying to make Japanese rice wine, which actually gets brewed like beer, but I didn't have all the right ingredients and equipment so just winged it. It's an odd color.

How did the banana peels enter the equation?

How did the banana peels enter the equation?

There is an enzyme in banana peels that is supposed to convert starch to sugar, at least that is what I read when I looked up amylase enzyme substitute. :ban:

That's different! I might try that.

I was going to make a Cascade/Marris SMaSH but we harvested a ton of squash, so I figured I should use some. I may split the batch into two fermentors and add pumpkin pie spice to one and make the other a normal brew. I don't think the squash will add any flavor on their own.

Are you from western Virginia? Most people think the song is about WV, but all the landmarks in the song are in VA!

Great cover version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M1JJ8fAXHo

Nope, I was born and raised in Illinois in a rural area and traveled gravel country roads everyday. A good chunk of my adult life is in California with the exception of 6 years in Japan, 7 years in Hawaii, a few years in Antarctica and various other deployments sites which probably add up to another few years outside the USA. This song no matter where in the world I was always brought me back to my childhood home in Illinois.. :mug: There is also another song that brings me home, Alabama - My Homes In Alabama. I'm neither from the south or the east coast. These songs are American, that's why they bring me home.

Dan, if you didn't rent the house or move your children will still go. Life is all about change from the cradle to the grave. Life is a sea of motion, fight it or ride with doesn't matter it will keep moving and changing. 13 years ago my wife and I married July first and by August first we had move to Florida and started new jobs. Exciting, terrifying, sad(missing friends and family) BUT with just the two of us together in a small 540sq Apt. we grew closer. I found the meaning of Soulmate, that my wife was my best friend I had always said. Now she is much more I miss her even when she has just gone to the store down the street. Ride these waves my friend for the tops of the waves are all you see looking back. Embrace and Enjoy!

Daryl

That's really nice Beaks, thank you. You are 100% correct and again I thank you for helping me to pull my head out of my aRse and count blessings. I guess I was just a bit overwhelmed last night.

Today we packed up a Budget 10' moving truck and took a drive north. My daughter's stuff is all moved in. We were going to spend the night and come back tomorrow but decided to drive home. She's spending this next week with me and then driving herself to her apartment next Saturday. Her roommate moves in the following week. My little girl was beaming from ear to ear all day long. I'm very happy and excited for her because she's looked forward to going to college in California, close to the beach since she was a Freshman in High school. If it's not overly obvious, I'm pretty proud of her. She's maintaining a 3.95 GPA her first year at the local community college and taking summer classes as well. Statistics, I think has been her biggest challenge to-date but she ended up at the top of the class.

There's a lot of talk about how kids today are lost, have no work ethic, don't care. I say. Phooey on that! There are always going to be people who take the wrong path. Maybe I live a sheltered life but don't think so. Young people today are just as ambitious, hard working, intelligent as anybody was when I was a teenager many years ago. In some ways even better than we were, no let me make this personal. They're a heck of a lot better than I ever was at their age.

Oh to be young and have your whole life ahead.. Everything new and wondrous.

The relationship with your wife sounds very wonderful Daryl, thank you for sharing that. I wish you continued happiness and love all the days through.

Very excited about brewing my first batch of beer in Hawaii. The main reason is this - The water! Please understand, where I live now the tap water stinks to high heaven. Sulfur. That's not so bad because if you let it sit out overnight the smell goes away but what I can't tolerate is the fact that there is arsenic in the water so I always use water from the local reverse-osmosis water store. It's a pain and adds to the cost of beer, somewhere around $5 for a ten gallon batch. Okay, not horribly expensive but I'm truly looking forward to just screwing in my RV water hose to an outside faucet and filling up the HLT!

In my experience there are two great places for water. Christchurch., New Zealand (maybe all New Zealand, I've only been in Christchurch) and Oahu, Hawaii. Both places the water taste great. I think I might detect just a little chlorine in the Hawaii water but nothing exceptional. A campden tablet(I think that's what is used with chlorinated water) should settle that but I probably won't the first batch. I'll make a 5 gallon batch with a trusted recipe and see how it turns out.

Cheers to you all. :mug:

I was going to make a Cascade/Marris SMaSH but we harvested a ton of squash, so I figured I should use some. I may split the batch into two fermentors and add pumpkin pie spice to one and make the other a normal brew. I don't think the squash will add any flavor on their own.

Hey LRB,
Not sure I see
Is the squash an addition or for the whole primary
With the squash do you do a wash
Or just chunk it in no added grains or gin (it rhymed)
Wow I'm not doing well on the rhyming
The beer I'm drinking screwing up my timing.
Please would like to hear a little more
About this squash beer before tonight you snore. :eek:

Hey LRB,
Not sure I see
Is the squash an addition or for the whole primary
With the squash do you do a wash
Or just chunk it in no added grains or gin (it rhymed)
Wow I'm not doing well on the rhyming
The beer I'm drinking screwing up my timing.
Please would like to hear a little more
About this squash beer before tonight you snore. :eek:

Hey Dan my man
The squash was roasted like a dish
then the suash was squished
next it was added to the mash
with 10lbs of grain, more than a dash
I mashed it low - why, I don't know
I've done pumpkin before
but the spaghetti was at the door
I used a pound of home grown hops
I'm not using the spices, let see its own chops