Question on Extract Kit from MoreBeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGingerelli

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I purchased a Rogue I2PA extract brewing kit from MoreBeer and brewed it last Wednesday. Fermentation started within 24 hours and was very strong and as of yesterday there is very little air-lock activity and its only been in the fermenter for 5 days (fermenter is in a Sanyo temp. controlled fridge with internal temp of 68 degrees). Does this sound right?

Also the kit calls for dry hopping with 1oz of Amarillo in a secondary for 10-14 days after primary fermentation does this also sound right. When should I rack it to the seondary?

Any help would be great, this is only my 2nd batch so I dont know if Im just freaking out.

Thanks & Cheers!!

The Airlock is not a measure of fermentation. Be patient wait it out and don't worry. Good Beer Comes To Those Who Wait!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Do a search on airlock activity and there are some great posts by the Veterans of this board.

Nice, second batch and already with temp control. Ferments often finish that quickly, especially if you oxygenate/aerate and pitch plenty of yeast. I'm assuming you did seeing as you already know about temp control. Just let it go three weeks or so in the primary and skip the secondary. Most of us on here no longer secondary. THere are plenty of threads on here about it. Jamil Zainasheff (I'm sure you've heard of him, especially if you go to MB), is one of the most successful homebrewers ever and he doesn't use a secondary. YOu can dry hop in the primary also, just wait another week, put the hops in and wait another 5-7 days.

GO GIANTS!

Nice, second batch and already with temp control. Ferments often finish that quickly, especially if you oxygenate/aerate and pitch plenty of yeast. I'm assuming you did seeing as you already know about temp control. Just let it go three weeks or so in the primary and skip the secondary. Most of us on here no longer secondary. THere are plenty of threads on here about it. Jamil Zainasheff (I'm sure you've heard of him, especially if you go to MB), is one of the most successful homebrewers ever and he doesn't use a secondary. YOu can dry hop in the primary also, just wait another week, put the hops in and wait another 5-7 days.

GO GIANTS!

Thanks for the info. I did oxygenate. So I should just throw the hops into the primary in like a week and let them sit for another week or two? This is my first time dry hopping. Do you use a bag or just throw them in?

Thanks again and GO GIANTS - World Series Champions!!!

Back