Second AG didn't work so well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikfire

Reaction score
In short, I was way off my expected gravities -- both pre-boil and OG. I was aiming for an OG of 1.058 and got 1.054. Lots of things didn't work very well and I will be adjusting the process for the next brew.

My question is two fold. The first is what affect the lower OG will have on the finished product? Obviously, it won't have quite the same % ABV. Will there be any other affects?

Second. Could I have fixed this at the end by adding some DME? Or maybe adding it during the wort boil? Or is it better to just admit I messed up and take what ever comes next?

Thanks,
Mik

In short, I was way off my expected gravities -- both pre-boil and OG. I was aiming for an OG of 1.058 and got 1.054.

Assuming the OG and SG you posted isn't a typo, there are a lot worse things than missing your OG by 0.004, especially in all grain brewing. Regardless, your beer will taste fine and it really isn't worth adding DME to get the gravity up 4 points. If the gravity was off by 10 points or more, thats when I would add DME.

My first foray into AG came up short of projected OG by .011 but my FG was extremely low 1.006. My second AG brew was similar with not quite as low FG of 1.012.

I am leaning toward the crush as being my issue so I purchased a Barley Crusher. I haven't done a brew with it yet.

I think that my second batch was self sabotaged. My first mash temp was low, 145deg. f, so I mashed in a bit too hot the second time around.

Any way, what I mean to say is that both mine turned out fine. Maybe slightly low ABV but very tasty and drinkable.

.004 doesn't seem like it would be out of the normal variance.

My first foray into AG came up short of projected OG by .011 but my FG was extremely low 1.006. My second AG brew was similar with not quite as low FG of 1.012.
You might want to check your hydrometer. Something to think about. Mine reads .003 low all the time, so I have to add .003 to every reading. Just a thought.

Back