Moving to Cypress From Arizona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skemp45

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I will be moving to Cypress Texas within the next 6 months. I am very active in the beer scene here in Arizona, we have a Local Home brew club and we all also track down beers from all over and have bottle shares monthly. I will be looking to get into this right away in Cypress/ Houston and wanted to see what the craft beer community is like out there. Please let me know and give me all the tips and best places to check out!

Welcome to Texas and Cypress. While I am new to brewing and don't have another area to compare to I think you will be happy home brew wise here.

Cypress does not have a brew club yet that I know of but, there are a lot of brewers in Cypress.

South of Cypress is the Katy club.
I am a member of the Cane Island Alers. We had a monthly meeting last week with over 100 people in attendance. It was the annual crawfish boil but, normally the meetings host 30-40 people. They have a active facebook page.

North of Cypress is
The Kuykendahl Grain Brewers Club
http://thekgb.org/ I have not been to one of there club events but I have heard it is a good organization.

There are more clubs in Houston you might be interested in but they are farther away.

Defalcos is our oldest home brew store (I think). It has a good selection and has been in business for a good while. I have purchased supplies there and it was a good experience.
http://www.defalcos.com/

Texas Home Brewers is in Katy. It is my go to store because it is closer to Cypress, they have been very helpful and, have had everything I needed so far. They are celebrating their three year anniversary this weekend. If you are in town you should check it out for sure!
http://www.texashomebrewers.com/

In Cypress you should check out RockWell Grill.
http://rockwelltavernandgrill.com/
Wednesday night I am told is bottle swap night. You can bring your homebrew or other and swap with people. I have yet to make it to the event but I hear it is a good time. Rockwell has a great selection of local breweries draft beers.

I know we do have a good bit of beer competitions in the Houston area but, I am not yet at that level so, I can not tell you much about those.

Currently I am a extract brewer with specialty grains looking to transition to all grain. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Brian

Awesome Brian, Thanks for all of the information, I am excited to move there and get started in Texas. We will be buying a home and SWMBO has promised a dedicated brewing space so its about to get serious! LOL. I cant wait to meet all of you guys and gals!

There is a Farmboy's home brew store for buying malts and equipment towards central Houston. Welcome to town!

I'm personally a fan of Backyard Home Brewers. They are located on the north side just outside beltway 8 & 59.

They run free homebrew classes on the weekends (join their email list) and also have the Rogue Brewers club that meets there once a month. I have not attended any of this since my work and family schedule doesn't play nice, but I still shop there and hope to join/attend the club meetings now that they've moved their meetings to Fridays.

There is another thread in the Texas forum regarding bottle swaps and samplings. Put your name on the list there too. Once the wife and I are done with our move I'll try to organize the folks from that thread for a gathering.

I should mention - the oldest and original homebrew club for the Houston area is the Foam Rangers. (http://foamrangers.com/) I brew all the time and also live in Cypress (Riata Ranch area). The closest homebrew store is Texas Homebrewers for us. It's a 45 minute drive to get to Defalco's.

Will

I was about to mention Cypress Grape & Grain. It's out of the way for me from Montgomery but the owner was really helpful. First Friday of every month they encourage Brewers to bring homebrew or commercial beer to share and sample.

yeah that mythical club....

If anyone wants to start a club or even a loosely formed meet up I would be interested. Seems Cypress has plenty of brewers to make it happen.

I know a few that are apart of the CIA club in Katy and I know there are other that are going to the KGB.

yeah that mythical club....

If anyone wants to start a club or even a loosely formed meet up I would be interested. Seems Cypress has plenty of brewers to make it happen.

I know a few that are apart of the CIA club in Katy and I know there are other that are going to the KGB.

That would be nice. I think there is enough brewers in Cypress, it just always needs someone to organize and crack the whip. I remember us meeting about three times maybe when that club existed. We did a craft beer/bar tasting met and greet, then did an all grain brew at someones house (best scotch cask ale i ever had from the guy that hosted) then they met another time at someones house (missed that one).

Back