2010 -2011 Bells Hopslam is it out yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Not sure if they call this years 2010 or 2011 but has anyone seen it yet?
Usually comes out about now or next week I think.

Hopslam is an early january release (firstish week usually for local kalamazoo folk) and this year they are doing a limited run of hopslam in 5 liter mini kegs as well. :rockin:

Our local beverage depot just got Hopslam in this morning!!! It's amazing to watch 18$ six packs fly off the shelf. The cases the 6ers come in had the date 01/05/2011 stamped on them so you know it's the freshest of the fresh!

It's at Bells and in stores. A halfway decent store that carries a variety of Bells will have it. (fwiw, I'm in Chicago and there are releases at the beginning of this week)

I had it on tap the other night, I thought it tasted different then the last couple years.

Not sure if they call this years 2010 or 2011 but has anyone seen it yet?
Usually comes out about now or next week I think.

I've heard it will be in KC early next week. What that means for StL I do not know. If I were you I'd call Wine and Cheese Place, they'll know. Around here you probably want to make it to the store the first day if you want some (or at least by the third day if you have a super secret list of off the beaten path stores that get special releases and don't sell out fast).

I just bought 3 6ers of Hopslam today, they had it at the ABC Wine store in my 'hood.... Not used to paying $54 for 3 6ers lol, but I know it's worth it! Also my local watering hole is tapping a Hopslam keg tomorrow evening during happy hour, you bet your ballz I'll be there for that one!

I just heard a local beer pub is hosting an event next week and people from Bell's Brewery will be on site.

Here's the announcement:

We are happy to announce our February beer tasting with Bell's Brewery on Wednesday, February 23rd from 4-7pm.

The tasting will include Oberon, Two Hearted Ale, Expedition Stout and the much awaited Hop Slam. Yum, yum! We will be giving a free pint glass to anyone who buys one of the Bell's beers on draft, while supplies last, of course. You know you love glassware so get there early. To fill your pint glass again, we'll offer a drink special (excluding Hop Slam). The brewery rep will also be there to answer all questions.

YES!!! :rockin:

I'm hoping I can get some clues about the recipe for Hop Slam from Bell's also... I'll try my best!

IME this year's Hop Slam is disappointing. It seems to be distinctly lacking the floral bouquet of previous years. The bouquet was an important aspect of that beer. It's still great but is not nearly as good as the previous years. So far I've had a couple of 6ers, a mini keg and a tapped full keg. All were lacking the sensational aroma previous years exhibited.

I've only tried this year's batch of Hop Slam so I don't have previous years' batches to compare it to. I thought it was very good, interesting beer. My girlfriend loved it though and she's the one who told me about the event next week with Bell's Brewery at the local beer pub.

My arm didn't need much twisting!

Hop Slam doesn't last long at my Total Wine but somehow the Whole Foods evade detection for a surprisingly long time.

What I meant to say was Total Wine and Whole Foods both stock Hop Slam for at least 3 states' radius from me.

I got one bottle....it was gone by the time I went back for a 6 pack. Word is Bell's only sends out so much of it so that it can get dispersed fairly well. So if you've got a place that has it later in the season, I wouldn't tell anyone about 'em. lol

I heard one of our local liquor stores sold their entire Hop Slam shipment to ONE customer who happened to stumble upon it.

Apparently the store clerk was new and they weren't informed on how to limit this beer to x-amount per customer only.

So all 10-cases were sold to ONE person.

Jeez!

Last year I determined the per customer limits of each known Hop Slam outlet and then commissioned friends and family to make the purchases for me. I ended up with 6 cases of the stuff. It lasted less than 8 weeks. It cost an arm and a leg, too. I didn't regret it one bit, though.

I've been able to get a few six packs from my local liquor store on separate trips. I think a lot of people that live around here just don't shop there for $17 beers. The aroma and flavor of my latest pack purchased this weekend is definitely showing some degradation compared to the earlier ones.

Hop slam is sofa king good. I had it in 08/09, looking forward to having it again. It's this beer that makes me want to throw honey in my brew

I'll be bringing a 12pack to dark lord day this year for trading!!!

I finally found another batch to try. It was at the party store downtown! D'oh!

So it's chilling in the fridge so I can sample tonight. It's too expensive for me to buy much of, but I have a yeast starter starting, and just bought a bunch of hops and some stuff to try and brew it this weekend! If I can come close, I can enjoy it all year round!

Back