Stepping up my homebrew process, (maybe).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
I recently bought a kegerator set up, which I have been using with kegs I exchange at the liquor store and such. Until yesterday I had not brewed in about 7 or so months and I am wanting to get back into it. I had stopped because I loaned somebody my wort chiller and never got it back. :( Anyways I decided to suck it up and get a new one and start brewing again, I made an oatmeal stout last night that is in the carboy fermenting like crazy.

Anyways since I have a spare CO2 tank I would like to use that tank for transfering beer between kegs, that way I do not have to mess with my dispensing set up while in the brewing process. What I am thinking about doing, is after I cool my wort, going straight into a corny keg, pitching and using it as a primary fermentor. After about a week I would then transfer the beer directly into another corny keg which would act as a secondary fermentor. Then after about 2 weeks I would transfer the beer from the secondary fermentor through a filter and into a third and final keg, where I would then force carbonate it.

I was just wondering if many people have considered or use this type of process, I usually just see people talk about using glass carboys for primary and secondary fermenting. Also when transfering from the primary to secondary fermentor can you use the CO2 to force it through? Or is siphoning a better approach, my goal from doing it this way is to avoid exposing the beer as much as possible, so I'd prefer to force the beer using CO2, just not sure if its a goo idea at that stage in the process. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

The main problem with this is capacty.

You'll only end up with a part keg of beer due to blow off/leaving trub or brew behind on each time you transfer.

I'd ferment in a carboy then condition in the keg.

Check out this thread. You need a spunding valve to release the pressure at around 5 psi for a pressurized ferment, or you need to remove the gas post and rig some sort of airlock or blowoff tube. Cornies are about 5 1/2 gallons including head space, so the max you can do is 4 gallons.

I haven't used my setup yet, but I have a spunding valve on a ball lock QD for pressurized fermentation and a double black ball lock QD / hose for keg to keg counterpressure transfer.

Back