Radon Testing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

we are getting the house inspected on Thursday, and for 100 bucks, they will do a radon test..

the house is on a slab with no basement or crawl space..

do you think it is worth it to get the test done?

I don't think you'll need it without the basement, but you can also do one yourself and send it in for less money...

Soulive said:
I don't think you'll need it without the basement, but you can also do one yourself and send it in for less money...

thats what i was thinking..

the DIY tests are 20 bucks.. so i figure that may be the best way.

Jumbo82 said:
I think in general if you don't have a basement you are at low risk. But if you live in a region with high radon levels it might be worth it. Check out this link, it might be helpful. http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap/tennessee.htm

yeah i found that page too.. we are in the red.. but our Realtor said we shouldn't have to worry about it..

aekdbbop said:
yeah i found that page too.. we are in the red.. but our Realtor said we shouldn't have to worry about it..

I'm in an area of concern and my test showed 0.0, which I don't believe is totally accurate. Either way, I'm sure its not high enough for us to worry...

Well, here's the thing. If you haven't closed yet then there is breathing room. Most likely in the Seller's disclosure there is a clause for what should happen in the event Radon is found. Now, if you have a professional do the test then the seller cannot argue, but a diy test could possibly be contested and you'll end up getting a pro anyways. Radon mitigation systems (although not terribly expensive) are still an added cost. However, most likely in your case you are probably fine....it's a real toss up and I think you'll have to go with your conscience on this one :D. Actually here's what I'd do. Take the test ASAP. If it tests positive, talk to the seller and find out where they stand. If they insist on a pro test it then you'll have to do so.

should they of had to do one when they bought the house new? would anything change in 2 years? (thats how old the house is)

aekdbbop said:
should they of had to do one when they bought the house new? would anything change in 2 years? (thats how old the house is)

No they didn't have to do it. You could find out if they did and what the results were though...

aekdbbop said:

I am not sure, but it sounds like it's not a law there so they may have never had it done. It's in the ground and would show up fairly quickly I believe. I heard of a guy that worked where I do that died of Lung Cancer. Didn't smoke a day in his life, but post test showed that he had Radon in his home, fairly high levels though. But that was an in ground basement. Not to scare you or anything, but if you look into it, now is the time to do so imo.

Back