Dark 'Fin Du Monde ' Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I brewed this last November and am just now popping the top off the bottles! I was going for a 'Fin Du Monde ' Clone, but it turned out much darker. It is still very tasty, abeit, maltier than Fin.

La Fin Du Rue
Recipe Ó 2004 by Mark Pannell

Extracts: 6.6 lbs. pale extract
3 lbs. plain wheat DME

Grains: 1 lb. 30-L U.S. crystal malt
1 lb. 5.9-L 2-Row Belgian CaraPils
0.5 lb. flaked wheat
0.5 lb. flaked oats
Bittering
hops: 1.0 oz. Saaz (60 mins.)
Flavoring
hops: 0.5 oz. Saaz (15 mins.)
Finishing
hops: 0.5 oz. Saaz (5 mins.)

Misc.
Flavorings: 1 lb. Turbinado sugar
.5 oz. cracked coriander seed
0.125 oz. grated dried ginger
0.5 oz. dried Curacao orange peel

Fining agent: 1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins.)

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast and slurry from one 22 oz. bottle of La Fin Monde

Primary: 8 days at 70o F

Secondary: 14 days at 70o F

Total boil: 70 minutes

Crack the grains, place in muslin grain bag and hold at 155o F for 30 minutes. Remove grains and increase heat. Begin the hop additions 10 minutes after boiling occurs. Top off to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast when cooled to 70o F. Prime with 1-1/2 cups plain DME.

A side note - it was low in carbonation. Not bad, but not what I am used to in a Fin, which is normally very effervescent. What would you suggest to up the carbonation? :confused:

TIA!

I know what you mean about that fizziness you're looking for. You can bump up the priming sugar a bit, but of course be careful.

Thanks for the recipe. That looks like a tasty and interesting one :)

Yes, I'll probably do that next time around. The recipe I that was the basis for this called for 1-7/8 cups of DME. I usualy stick with the standard 1-1/4 cups, so I thought I was really flirting with disaster by upping it to 1-1/2 cups of DME. But, I guess not! Maybe I'll really climb out on a limb and go with an even 2 cups next time! :eek:

Would that translate to "end of the world?" I've never heard of it. Got to agree with Janx... that recipe does sound interesting. Is the original more like a wheat beer? You might want to increase the wheat extract and decrease the barley if maltiness is a problem.

Witbier said:
Would that translate to "end of the world?" I've never heard of it. Got to agree with Janx... that recipe does sound interesting. Is the original more like a wheat beer? You might want to increase the wheat extract and decrease the barley if maltiness is a problem.

Yes, "end of the world" it is. It is brewed by Unibroue, a micro in Quebec. Been available here in the Chicago area for about 2-3 years now. Here's a link: http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

A freidn of mine loves this stuff, so I was brewing it with him in mind. I probably will increase the wheat extract and decrease the barley next time around to try and replicate the real thing. However, this one is so good, that I plan to brew it again just as is, except try and up the carbonation.

Latest posts

Back