Start up equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guys I've been doing some reading and a but of research about the different equipment you can use before heading out and jumping right in. But in my search I have found a bunch of Cornelius kegs for sale and from what I read here they are ideal. I just don't know how many to get. Any suggestion?

As many as you want to have batches at a time. You'll need a fridge big enough to hold them all (plus the CO2 tank), so bear that in mind. Each keg will hold a 5-gallon batch, so if you want a variety or a lot of beer on hand, get more.

I'm new to the game myself, 2nd batch is almost ready for conditioning, but I bottle so I can't really say much more. I'm just not at the point where I want to worry about a kegerator, CO2 tanks, regulators, tap handles, etc. If you're comfortable with the whole process, I say go for it!

Well you need to figure out if you want to keg or not. If you want to keg then you will need to look into the size keezer or kegerator you want. That will help you determine how many kegs you can fit at once. You will want to have at least that many. I would then get 2 more to always have a full keg ready to go when one keg is finished.

It depends on the quality of the kegs and what they cost. If they're dirt cheap, you could always buy them and see if anyone on here wants them (not me, by the way, I have enough of them).

Brent

I can't speak for US prices. We pay about $50-75 around here. Do a quick search on this website's sponsors to get an idea.

Brent

Whats a decent price for these kegs?

For used ball-lock kegs I've searched and searched, then searched some more, and it seems that you're going to be right around the $50 each mark no matter where you get them from.

So if you're planning to keg and the ones you found are much below that mark, then I'd grab as many as you can scrounge up the cash for.

Back