diacetyl problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fc17

Reaction score
I just brewed up a wheat beer and the end result had a diacetyl flavor. It was very subtle and took me longer than usual to identify it. I'm not sure what caused it and I would like to hear your opinion on how to get rid of it. I used Wyeast 1010 and fermented at a consistent 65 degrees F.

The only thing that I could think is either 1) wild yeast got into the wort before I pitched or 2) I picked a poor yeast strand.

Ideas?

I had some success getting rid of diacetyl flavor in one of my lagers by bringing it back up to fermentation temp and pitching more yeast. Let it sit for a week and the flavor was gone.

thebeerbrewer said:
Is it typical to need a diacetyl rest when it was already fermented at 65F?

I've no idea what's typical. I do know however that if you leave the beer fermenting eventually yeast will reabsorb diacetyl. Ramping the temp towards the end will allow for this, but really just leaving the beer in the yeast longer - say a week - will deal with this nicely assuming fermentation had progressed normally.

Latest posts

Back