Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pole,
I pretty much left the hops alone because I wanted something heavy on the malt and not too bitter. I brewed a bitter chocolate imperial oatmeal stout the next day and planned to combine both batches for my Christmas stout. I was worried the extra hops and bitter chocolate might clash. As it happened, I ended up combining only about half of each batch once they fermented, so I ended up with three different stouts. Yooper's tastes similar to Anderson Valley's Barney Flats and the Chocolate tastes similar to the Stone Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Stout. The combo of the two is awesome and should be more awesomer (?) by Christmas.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

Did a similar brew this past weekend. Taste going into FV, yum...

6.5 lbs Golden Promise
12.0 oz Oats
10.0 oz Victory Malt
6.0 oz Black Barley
6.0 oz CaraFoam did not have Flaked Barley
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
3.0 oz Chocolate Malt
.2 oz Magnum @ 60 min
.8 oz EKG @ 20 min

WLP002

I'll soon be kegging a batch of this. It came out great! Interestingly I found it had a pretty big chocolate flavor after 1 week of fermentation, but that has mellowed and now the coffee is more apparent.

I'm thinking about reserving 1 of 5 gallons and putting it in a tiny keg for a flavoring experiment... cacao nibs and ceylon cinnamon. Anyone else have ideas for tasty add-ins?

I've done many different iterations of adding cacao nib (+ vanilla bean) tinctures and coffee.

Most recently I "dry-beaned" whole espresso beans in a keg at room temp for 48 hours. The flavor was incredible.

Nope. Two ounces of medium-dark espresso beans for 2 days. This last batch I left it for 3 days. Haven't tasted yet, but I'm sure it'll be a delicious coffee bomb, which is what I was going for.

Looks like this will be my next brew. Will get it in by the end of August, so it will be ready to give out for XMas.

Update from previous post where I entered it into the wrong category in the Hangar 24 Homebrew Contest and the Judges mentioned that it would be better entered as a Porter. Just for ****s and giggles I entered into the Los Angeles County Fair Homebrew contest as an "English Porter" and the Ventura County Fair as a "Oatmeal Stout".
Highest score in category in both competitions! Blue ribbons in the mail.
Brewed precisely as written in the OP. Water chemistry, water to grist ratio, pH ... Thanks for the recipe Yooper.
Not only a good recipe, but versatile too!!

If you have a way to mash the oats, and then maybe steep the other grains, and then combine that into the kettle, then I think it could work.

I've never done a true BIAB mash, but you may be able to get a big BIAB bag and mash 8 pounds of grain in the kettle and then sparge up to your desired boil volume, and then add the extract at flame out. If you could do that, that would be my preference I think!

Would it look like this? I've got some bulk LME I bought to do a couple 15 minute Pale Ales. I was thinking I could do a 10 gallon extract batch in my BIAB setup if I did partial mash. So for 5 gallons (half the batch to keep the math simple) of that recipe, I'd have:

Partial Mash
4 lbs LME
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

If I am doubling that, I will have 16 lbs of grain, for a 10 gallon batch. Will I be able to mash that in a Bayou Classic 11 gallon pot? I have found that 15 lbs of grain was already pushing the limit with the basket in the pot. Although I also was using 9 gallons of water to mash (15 lbs/9 gallons water for a 5 gallon batch). How much water do I need to convert all of those grains?

I suspect that if I can limit the amount of water I use, I will be able to mash all of it in the pot. I can add more LME if efficiency is a concern. I am trying to use up the rest of that bulk LME.

Thanks.

Would it look like this? I've got some bulk LME I bought to do a couple 15 minute Pale Ales. I was thinking I could do a 10 gallon extract batch in my BIAB setup if I did partial mash. So for 5 gallons (half the batch to keep the math simple) of that recipe, I'd have:

Partial Mash
4 lbs LME
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

If I am doubling that, I will have 16 lbs of grain, for a 10 gallon batch. Will I be able to mash that in a Bayou Classic 11 gallon pot? I have found that 15 lbs of grain was already pushing the limit with the basket in the pot. Although I also was using 9 gallons of water to mash (15 lbs/9 gallons water for a 5 gallon batch). How much water do I need to convert all of those grains?

I suspect that if I can limit the amount of water I use, I will be able to mash all of it in the pot. I can add more LME if efficiency is a concern. I am trying to use up the rest of that bulk LME.

Thanks.

I don't know if it'll fit or not, but you can try the "can I mash it?" calculator on rackers.org to see how much volume it will take up. You need at least 1 quart of water per pound of grain to ensure conversion, but it will be a pain to stir!

I was planning on bottling and using maple syrup to card it. Has anyone tried this yet?

I don't know if it'll fit or not, but you can try the "can I mash it?" calculator on rackers.org to see how much volume it will take up. You need at least 1 quart of water per pound of grain to ensure conversion, but it will be a pain to stir!

Thanks. The calculator defaults to 1.25 quarts per lb of grain. According to the calculator, I could fit that in 6.28 gallons. If I did 2 quarts per lb of grain, I'd wind up with 9.28 gallons total according to the website. I suspect that may not be completely accurate depending on what the mill used to crush is set at. If I did 9.28 gallons, that'd leave me room to sparge after I take the grain out. I suspect I'd get greater efficiency with a greater water:grain ratio for the mash.

Edit: it looks like the calculator figures 1.28 gallons of volume for 16 lbs of grain, which would work out to 12.5 lbs of grain occupying 1 gallon of volume.

I brewed this up last weekend using Denny's Favorite 50 yeast. Fermentation was strong for the first couple of days and then abruptly stopped. The krausen fell on day 4. I checked the gravity yesterday, one week after brewing, and it came in at 1.022 and tasted way too sweet. I'm going to try to rouse the yeast today and see if that wakes it up. If not, I brewed a robust porter yesterday using Nottingham. If the stout doesn't get any lower after rousing the yeast, I'll rack it onto the yeast cake from the porter after it's done fermenting.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the same result using Denny's Fav on this, except I bottled instead of rousing the yeast. Ended up over carved and likely would have been bombs if I hadn't thrown them in the fridge when I did.

I would say raise the temp to 70 or so and give it a gentle swirl, I'd bet you'll get at least a little more fermentation.

I too used Denny's most recently on this (May 28) and also under-attenuated a little. OG was 1.055 and it only got down to 1.020 (expected 1.017). This was after 4 weeks in primary (the last 2 at 70°) so it wasn't getting any lower.

I "dry hopped" with 3oz of whole espresso beans for 48 hours and it still turned out marvelous this weekend, 4 months later. The residual sweetness may have even helped for my application, to balance the coffee.

Previous batches of this have all been with 1330 that I've been harvesting each time I made a starter. I do like the flavor from the Denny's better, but just wish I could squeeze a couple extra points out of it. I also harvested this one so we'll see what the next batch has in store (should be any weekend now that it looks like it's finally going to start cooling to below 90°F every day).

Making this today. Mashing in right now. A very good smell.

20161023_100804.jpg

20161023_101128.jpg

Brew day went well on this one.

I did a mash in for 90 mins.
BeerSmith had pre-boil gravity at 1.048 I was at 1.047.
BeerSmith had post boil gravity at 1.059 and I was at 1.061

For yeast I just WLP007 Dry English Ale

I will have a brew day video up on youtube soon if anyone wants to check it out

I would love to brew this beer this weekend. Can anyone tell me what the efficiency is on the original recipe? I only get 65% so usually have to adjust Thanks

I brewed this up last weekend using Denny's Favorite 50 yeast. Fermentation was strong for the first couple of days and then abruptly stopped. The krausen fell on day 4. I checked the gravity yesterday, one week after brewing, and it came in at 1.022 and tasted way too sweet. I'm going to try to rouse the yeast today and see if that wakes it up. If not, I brewed a robust porter yesterday using Nottingham. If the stout doesn't get any lower after rousing the yeast, I'll rack it onto the yeast cake from the porter after it's done fermenting.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I did same yeast as well, lost my last slurry of 1450 so used a new smack pack and a 1.4L starter to hit 290B cells. Came in at 1.019, expected 14, and I fermented at 64 w/o raising temp at end or rousing. I shouldn't have bottled as I wasn't clearly at FG and ended w/some bottle bombs- first time in many many years for that! :) It ended up tasty, and carbonation settled out after 5 min from a pour. Best after about 4 mos, I'm still drinking it now- brewed June 5th.

I had the same result using Denny's Fav on this, except I bottled instead of rousing the yeast. Ended up over carved and likely would have been bombs if I hadn't thrown them in the fridge when I did.

I would say raise the temp to 70 or so and give it a gentle swirl, I'd bet you'll get at least a little more fermentation.

Bingo! Course I missed the approach of the bombs and lost ~6 or so, heck one just last week I found- bottom broke, not sure when.

I too used Denny's most recently on this (May 28) and also under-attenuated a little. OG was 1.055 and it only got down to 1.020 (expected 1.017). This was after 4 weeks in primary (the last 2 at 70°) so it wasn't getting any lower.

I "dry hopped" with 3oz of whole espresso beans for 48 hours and it still turned out marvelous this weekend, 4 months later. The residual sweetness may have even helped for my application, to balance the coffee.

Previous batches of this have all been with 1330 that I've been harvesting each time I made a starter. I do like the flavor from the Denny's better, but just wish I could squeeze a couple extra points out of it. I also harvested this one so we'll see what the next batch has in store (should be any weekend now that it looks like it's finally going to start cooling to below 90°F every day).

I too harvested again, and will brew it again with this yeast- just used it on my brown winter warmer (a Deschute's Jubelale clone- its awesome!). My thought will be to raise temp to 70 or so after I get drop to the 20 range and see how it progresses from there.

I would love to brew this beer this weekend. Can anyone tell me what the efficiency is on the original recipe? I only get 65% so usually have to adjust Thanks

If you plug it into an online calculator you can back into it. Brewer's Friend shows ~73% (BH) for 11# of fermentables to hit 1.052. All calculators use different variables so stick with one and go from there.

Brewed this today. Was sort of a confirmation brew since dialing in my new system...I hit the numbers I predicted, although, I wish they were wrong because OG came in a shade low @ 1.047. Using 1335 so I imagine this will be more of a session stout.

I wrote it for 72% because that's what I get with my system. I thought it was in the first post- sorry about that!

Yooper, thanks for the recipe, this beer has really come along nicely, takes 2-3 months for my tastes and still good now 5mos later. Anyway, curious if you ramp up ferm temp to fully attenuate with 1450? I plan to next time, maybe when its ~20 or so, I'll increase to 68 and bump to 70 a few days later if needed. Have you done similar?

Yooper, thanks for the recipe, this beer has really come along nicely, takes 2-3 months for my tastes and still good now 5mos later. Anyway, curious if you ramp up ferm temp to fully attenuate with 1450? I plan to next time, maybe when its ~20 or so, I'll increase to 68 and bump to 70 a few days later if needed. Have you done similar?

No, I've never had an issue with underattenuation so haven't really done anything like that.

hmmm, 2.1 volumes is pretty flat, at least to me. Maybe it worked just fine, but was at 2.1 volumes? Although 90 grams is 3 ounces, so it shouldn't be totally flat. Was your beer really 75 degrees? That seems so warm for beer to me, but that's not the reason it was undercarbed.

Yooper - I am curious...

What level do you personally carbonate this beer at?

I like all of my bottled beers carbed at 2.5-2.7 volumes mostly. So, about 2.5 volumes for the stout.

Thanks for the reply. This has me thinking...

I'm going to target 2.5 volumes next time I brew this. I've always tried to carb to style and it just doesn't produce the stouts that my tastebuds are expecting, I guess they're just too flat for my liking. I suppose most of the commercial examples are in the ~2.5 volumes range as well which is probably what I'm expecting when I take a swig of my homebrew.

Just brewed this for my fourth time and finally going to do a variation on it. Adding toasted coconut and bourbon barrel aged coffee beans (from modern times) to the fermenter when the yeasties are done. Im a little worried it might be to dry, but we shall see I guess (had to switch to dry english ale yeast from dennys last minute due to HBS being out, and it attenuates way more). I'll post back in a few weeks with how it turns out...

What other variations have you guys done on this recipe? WHat have you added? What worked?

I made this beer for the first time about a year ago, and just finished it off about a month ago so it's on my radar for making again. I hate to mess with perfection, but...

1. Has anyone ever tried this recipe LoDO? There seems to be some thought with the LoDO guys that roast malt takes on a much stronger flavor in that process.

2. When i made this last time the mash was a gluey gummy glob and my blichmann false bottom plugged solid the moment i kicked on the pump. I was thinking this time about an incorporating a beta glucanase rest (~130F for 30m) to try to loosen things up before kicking on the recirculating pump. Anyone experience anything similar? Thoughts about the additional mash rest?

I made this beer for the first time about a year ago, and just finished it off about a month ago so it's on my radar for making again. I hate to mess with perfection, but...

1. Has anyone ever tried this recipe LoDO? There seems to be some thought with the LoDO guys that roast malt takes on a much stronger flavor in that process.

2. When i made this last time the mash was a gluey gummy glob and my blichmann false bottom plugged solid the moment i kicked on the pump. I was thinking this time about an incorporating a beta glucanase rest (~130F for 30m) to try to loosen things up before kicking on the recirculating pump. Anyone experience anything similar? Thoughts about the additional mash rest?
1) LoDO?

2) Why not add rice hulls, I didn't have any issues with this in the Grainfather, no hulls.

I brewed this in June (still enjoying some bottles!) and again yesterday, however I altered the flaked oats & barley to 21% (from the ~13%) and increased the chocolate malts to almost 10% from ~7%. Again no issues with sparge, (or recirc mash). Trying to decide if I add 3 vanilla beans -likely soaked in vodka instead of Maker's Mark like I did in a stout- I need to stop with all the flavors, I think....

I brewed this recipe for the second time earlier this month. I even went ahead and recreated Yooper's water profile, just for S's and G's. They are still bottle conditioning, but like many, I couldn't resist cracking one after a week and they taste phenomenal.

YOS16.jpg

Made this three weeks ago. Mash temp was good but i biab recirc and the bag gummed up with the oats and when i stepped out for a smoke, it was overflowing. I know i know. Never step away. I ended up topping off and was still only one point off og. I temp controlled at 68 and i am stuck at 1.022. Supposed to be 1.014. I tried rousing the yeast 4 days ago and still nothing. Any suggestions?

just bottled this a coupla days ago. My gravity was kinda high...@ 1.072 and finished at 1.013......but good god almighty it was hellah tasty going in the bottle. cant wait till its ready in the cold of winter!!!

Made this three weeks ago. Mash temp was good but i biab recirc and the bag gummed up with the oats and when i stepped out for a smoke, it was overflowing. I know i know. Never step away. I ended up topping off and was still only one point off og. I temp controlled at 68 and i am stuck at 1.022. Supposed to be 1.014. I tried rousing the yeast 4 days ago and still nothing. Any suggestions?

It sounds done. Which yeast strain did you use?

Back