ooopss! Anise, doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
I bottled a Farmhouse/saison a few weeks back that tasted a lot like tank 7 at bottling time. I do not like tank 7 so I decided to add some vanilla flavor to the bottling bucket to hopefully distract from whatever it is in tank 7 that I don't like. Well, I didn't realize that we had a bottle of pure anise extract in the cabinet & I grabbed that, poured it in & then realized it was anise & not vanilla when the smell punched me in my nose. The beer is drinkable, but is way heavy on the licorice/anise aroma & flavor. Oh, and it still taste too much like tank 7. I'll drink this beer, but I wont be happy about it! ha.

Any one have experience with anise and have any idea how long it may take for that to fade, if it even will?

If its so strong now and because it's extract, I doubt it will fade much. Judging from the potency of extracts in general.

You don't like Tank 7? :eek: ;) Love that beer, it's everything I want in a nice saison. Curious what it was you find in Tank 7 that you don't like (but you apparently still like saisons); too funky?

It general, it's real hard to "hide" a flavor you don't like by covering it up with something else. And to me, at least, adding vanilla to a saison-based recipe... I probably would have tried dry-hopping, first.

You don't like Tank 7? :eek: ;) Love that beer, it's everything I want in a nice saison. Curious what it was you find in Tank 7 that you don't like (but you apparently still like saisons); too funky?

I really don't know what it is that I didn't like about tank 7, I have one left that I'll drink on tonight & try to pick out what it is that is turning me off. I think there is a chance that I had a bad or contaminated batch. The bottles where within their "best by" date, but had lots of floaties that didn't settle out well and were fluffy and clumped up more than most bottle yeast. I drink plenty of "bottle conditioned" beers so I know what to expect there.

It general, it's real hard to "hide" a flavor you don't like by covering it up with something else. And to me, at least, adding vanilla to a saison-based recipe... I probably would have tried dry-hopping, first.

Too many homebrews before bottling.

Back