Adding water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer1

Reaction score
My 6 1/2 gallon carboy has about 4 1/2 gallons fermenting in it right now, maybe less, should I just let it be?
Our can I add water to it after its fermented to make more beer?

I'd just leave it as is. A half gallon shouldn't make much of a difference. Generally you want to add all of your water before pitching your yeast. At least that's what I've gathered from the research I've done. I'm extremely new to homebrewing myself. Actually just brewed my first batch today so take my advice with a grain of salt.

You can add boiled and Cooled water if you want. It will just dilute your beer though. The reason to boil the water is to drive off disilved oxygen and ro sanitize. You dont want to add O2 at this point.

Having a lot of headspace in the fermenter isn't going to be an issue - I do it all the time with smaller batches. CO2 is being generated and will create a blanket over the beer.

Don't top up now, especially after its fermented. If your beer was at the proper og than it should be fine! Was this a kit?

Back