Extra Alcohol with fruit... how do I measure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobalos

Reaction score
My brother and I've brewing for a while now, and some of our most aclaimmed beers are the ones with fruit, specially our raspberry porter. We use real fruit,actually, we make a puree, and add it after the first fermentation, but then the yeast starts working again and the fruit ferment. My question is how can we measure that extra % of alcohol and how control it. Cheers :)

Look up the nutrition facts on the fruit in question. You'll be able to figure out how much sugar you're adding to your beer. It's usually given as grams of sugar per serving and another item will be the serving size. So you can calculate the total amount of sugar going into your beer. Virtually all the sugar in fruit is fermentable.

The more you know, the more accurately you can figure out the additions.
You need to know the volume of resultant juice (minus pulp) as well as the gravity of the juice. Then you can just figure out:

(OG1 * Vol1 + OG2 * Vol2) / (Vol1 + Vol2)

I'd imagine this is less accurate when Vol1 and Vol2 are not very close, but I'll be using this to figure out the addition of 1 gallon of cider. BS2 doesn't seem to be able to add sugary liquids without changing it to sugar (dry) and adjusting the total volume - what a hack that is.

If you're not adding significantly to the volume, it may be easier to figure out your total sugar and adjust your volume in BeerSmith.

An easy way to control the production of alcohol from fruit fermentation is to throw a campden tablet in there when you want to slow things up. Thats what ive done. Kind of weird since i usually only use it for my mead but works all the same.

underground and under the influence

Back