IPA in 2ndry - continued fermentation or off gassing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers-

I brewed this extraxt IPA on 5/16 and transfered to secondary on 5/31 after a couple SG readings at 1.024 (OG 1.076):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/ipa-extract-50715/

I used Wyeast American Ale II but followed the recipe on all other points (well, except, I don't plan on keeping it in secondary for 6wks or bottle conditioning for 1 month.) My plan is to secondary for 3wks with the last week dry hopping with 1oz. Centennial then bottle coondition for another 2wks.

Anyway, my concern is that there is some very minor bubble action in 2ndry airlock (bubble every 65 seconds or so). I've searched the forums and surmised that there is some final fermenting going on or off-gassing. Should I be concerned at this point or wait it out? Did I transfer too soon? It tasted great when I sampled the SG I took on 5/31.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks
axr

Usually a couple of weeks is enough time. There is always a tiny bit of fermentation in the secondary, but the majority of the airlock activity is caused by off-gassing and temperature changes that cause the air inside the vessel to expand/contract. You are ok.

Thanks Rocketman. There hasn't been any temp flcutuation as it still in same room at same temp - 70F. There are some little floating bubbles on the brew surface that I hadn't seen before in my other batches, nor have experienced 2ndry activity. I just wanted to make sure all is well.

cheers!

Just some re-assurance... you're fine!

When racking to secondary, you're bound to rouse up a little yeast, so you may be seeing some additional fermentation, or just more Co2 coming out of solution.

Nothing to worry about! Let it sit for another week or two then bottle/keg away!

Back