How long in primary before needed to add more yeast to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a beer that I put in primary back in mid may. I havent touched it yet, still in primary and I wont be able to bottle till next week.

Anyway, how long can I leave something in primary and be ok not adding more yeast before bottling. BTW I used nottingham.

Also....Its like 90 degrees in my house right now so Im not expecting the best anyway.

Thanks!

I'd spring for some new yeast. 2 months isn't actually THAT long for aging a beer, but it doesn't sound like you are maintaining ideal storage conditions. It would probably still carb...... eventually. If it was my brew, I'd pay the extra couple bucks to not have to wait as long.

I wouldn't add any yeast, they won't like the high alcohol environment and like billl said above 2 months isn't that long.

After thought...

After you bottle and age it if you find there isn't enough carbonation you could try adding dry ice to the bottles. It's not without its risks; bottle bombs, infection etc but there aren't many options at that point anyway. Buy some dry ice from the supermarket and break it up into small pieces. Experiment with a couple bottles first to find the right amount. Store them somewhere safe and start small.

2 months is nothing for the brew. My imperial ipa was about 3 months before i had a chance to bottle and carbed no prob at 9% abv

Back