Homebrewing Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone interested in swapping links. having other sites linking to yours really helps with search engines. Also I'm interested in how much traffic you guys are getting if you track that. I started mine this week and i am getting about 20 visitors a day for the last few days which I think isn't terrible

I went ahead and added you to my blogroll. Lately, I've been getting 10-20 links per day. You'll get a good amount of traffic from Google if you fill out the search description for each post. That helps your rank in search results.

I started mine this week and i am getting about 20 visitors a day for the last few days which I think isn't terrible

That's a healthy amount of traffic for a new blog. Mine really varies. Sometimes a link to one of my articles will be posted somewhere, and traffic will spike, but I average about 120-200/day typically.

I have been trying for a good amount of time to stimulate interest on a blog or two & it just doesn't really pan out. Instead of posting towards an audience I have found myself just posting as a database for my own use to track recipes and tasting notes and such. If it picks up, it picks up, if it doesn't - well thats just how the mop flops & the cookie crumbles.

I average about 120-200/day typically.

I'm curious where most of your views originate. Search engine referrals, link referrals from other sites (I see you post on /r/homebrewing occasionally), or direct traffic? Mine is very slowly trending upwards, and I see more and more search engine traffic all the time, but I'd like to see more visits.

I'm curious where most of your views originate. Search engine referrals, link referrals from other sites (I see you post on /r/homebrewing occasionally), or direct traffic? Mine is very slowly trending upwards, and I see more and more search engine traffic all the time, but I'd like to see more visits.

Mostly google. Traffic from /r/homebrewing will spike after someone links to an article of mine, but it's not consistent traffic. My posts that had the best content, or the most useful content to a wide audience get by far the most page views.

The recipe for pageviews is: Write good, original, and useful content. Sounds so simple huh? HAHA. It's by far the hardest part of writing for a blog.

Just keep writing, and your traffic will trend up. It's tough at first because you'll totally feel like you're writing to yourself, but it gets better in time. I always forget to check your blog because it isn't in my blogger blogroll. The photos you take are always gorgeous.

Posted my first attempt at a variant of the world famous Edworts Apfelwein. If you are interested the link is in my signature

I am trying to get more traffic to my blog and was wondering what has worked for others?

I am trying to get more traffic to my blog and was wondering what has worked for others?

Don't take this as rude, but: You literally just started a blog. It takes time to build traffic.

Focus on writing good, interesting, original content that people would want to read. Include some good photos, and the rest should take care of itself.

There's a quote from Steve Jobs somewhere that said something along the lines of: The reason we sell more products than our competitors, is because we don't focus on selling products. We focus on making amazing products, the selling takes care of it self.

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. That, and just be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Not taking it as rude at all... I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything as far as SEO or anything else. I plan on just writing and seeing what happens. I Just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to attract readers as I go. It has been fun writing and I am willing to be patient. I just don't want to stumble upon something in a year that makes me think "why wasn't i doing this in the first place", if i can help it

Focus on writing good, interesting, original content that people would want to read. Include some good photos, and the rest should take care of itself.

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. That, and just be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

+1

It takes time. Make sure your content is relevant to your readers. For instance, my most popular post week in and week out is on my keezer collar build. That is because it is useful and relevant information unlike my beer reviews and recipe posts (unless it is a clone of a popular beer).

Awhile back I conducted a survey that had a couple questions on what people liked/did not like about my blog and peoples main concern was ease of use. Make your blog super easy to use, read, and navigate. If it isn't easy to read/navigate/find people are not going to use it. Make sure you take the time and make sure your don't have dark text on a dark background. Another tip is to use jump breaks and do not post entire articles to decrease the amount of scrolling. Other than that look at your stats page to see what your users are reading/searching, and design your posts around that.

blog.JPG

Also, post consistently. If you constantly are posting once every week or more that helps. There was a point where the blog was put on the back burner and I only posted like 3 times in 2 months. Traffic during that time was more sparse than me posting.

One more thing, setup a mobile phone browsing. I get about half my traffic from iphones and andriods.

Also, post consistently. If you constantly are posting once every week or more that helps. There was a point where the blog was put on the back burner and I only posted like 3 times in 2 months. Traffic during that time was more sparse than me posting.

One more thing, setup a mobile phone browsing. I get about half my traffic from iphones and andriods.

huh thats a good idea. I actually disabled this b/c the format was different (and that annoyed me!)

I just activated it, tho. Lets see what happens!

thanks for the info.

No problem. Keep on blogging my friend. Also try creating a SpaceFace (bookface) page and spam your friends with "Like requests"

huh thats a good idea. I actually disabled this b/c the format was different (and that annoyed me!)

I just activated it, tho. Lets see what happens!

thanks for the info.

You cannot customize the mobile format but most of the templates have a mobile version. For instance, I'm using a customized "Awesome Inc." template for my blog and the orange preset templates for the mobile version. They are not exactly 100% the same, but 85% is close enough for me.

You cannot customize the mobile format but most of the templates have a mobile version. For instance, I'm using a customized "Awesome Inc." template for my blog and the orange preset templates for the mobile version. They are not exactly 100% the same, but 85% is close enough for me.

I actually chose the "custom" one which says it models the website one as close as possible. There is a preview function, and it looks pretty similar, just smaller and no apps on the side

May as well add mine to the mix - ManawaBrew

Still only very early days, need to go through and tidy it up, can be a little harsh on the eyes. I'll throw in some link backs to most of not all through out this thread to, can't hurt :)

Bunch of updates on the blog. More to come soon. Getting the no blog site up soon. Having the work done soon and then I can take a look at it and see if I like it. but here are my current updates on the blog. http://atomicdonkeybrewing.blogspot.com/

I love checking back here every few days and looking at the newely posted blogs. Keep up the great work everyone.

I actually chose the "custom" one which says it models the website one as close as possible. There is a preview function, and it looks pretty similar, just smaller and no apps on the side

Nice! When I set up our mobile site Google didn't have the custom setting. I just switched it over and it looks awesome!

I have posted a few things on my blog since my last posting on this page and have yet to do create a blog roll for some reason but will scroll though here and add a bunch of people to mine when I do.

Perhaps, we could make a running list of the blogs posted here with links to their pages? Maybe I'll go through and do that if someone doesn't beat me too it...

I've got a recipe section on my website. It seemed like a good idea when I first started out but I haven't really updated it too much so far so there are only three recipes on there. Right now I've just been focusing on other aspects of my site.

I think I have added most people to my blog roll. If you want to be linked, go to my blog and if you don't see your blog on the right side (assuming you posted recently). let me know so I can add you

So the pumpkin ale won the poll on my blog so that is what I will be brewing next. you can see my draft recipe on my blog now. Also I have a new poll up to see what people want to read more of on my blog. So if you have a second drop by and help me improve my blog

So the pumpkin ale won the poll on my blog so that is what I will be brewing next. you can see my draft recipe on my blog now. Also I have a new poll up to see what people want to read more of on my blog. So if you have a second drop by and help me improve my blog

I've been doing some research on a pumpkin ale myself (which you can find on my blog) and the main thing I came away with is that any style should work so long as it isn't heavily hopped and doesn't have a lot of flavors going on that would compete with the pumpkin spice. That said, your recipe is really busy. I'd personally drop the smoked malt and I've heard even a bit of the coffee malt is really noticeable (I still really need to try it!). But of course this is just me, it might turn out great but it sounds muddled to me.

I was thinking of doing a lower ABV pumpkin recipe similar to Thunderstruck that's in the recipes section but I think a 2.5 gallon batch of the Pumking clone might be a better idea. I still haven't decided what I'll do since I already bought the hops for the Thunderstruck recipe.

I've been doing some research on a pumpkin ale myself (which you can find on my blog) and the main thing I came away with is that any style should work so long as it isn't heavily hopped and doesn't have a lot of flavors going on that would compete with the pumpkin spice. That said, your recipe is really busy. I'd personally drop the smoked malt and I've heard even a bit of the coffee malt is really noticeable (I still really need to try it!). But of course this is just me, it might turn out great but it sounds muddled to me.

I internationally kept the IBU's low to not compete or mask the pumpkin. I have been going back and forth on the smoked and coffee malt. I agree, I don't want the pumpkin to be masked but I also want some other complimentary flavors in there as well. I need to think it over. At the moment I am thinking about dropping the coffee and keeping the smoked. I think the smoked will work nice with the roasted pumpkin but interested in others opinions...

In my head all that sounds nice and complimentary too, but when I think more about it it sounds like it will just taste muddled rather than complimentary.

Latest posts

Back