Plastic PVC Pipe 5 gal mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, there are a ton of "ifs" that may change the cost and utility but if a 5 gallon keg for cheap is the goal, corny is the answer. I'm all for creative thinking and stupid DIY builds. I don't think I ever bought a ready made brewing gadget yet.

The OP was looking around in the big box store for ideas so I'd assume he'd be paying retail for these parts. OK, go asking around at construction sites for some leftover 6" stuff. Scrimp on the pressure capacity by welding on some end caps for $14 each.

Eh, every way it can be spun ends up with a poor solution to a problem already solved. Maybe he had some other requirements in mind that would change the outcome but we're just speculating now. I want to understand why a 2-3 liter PET soda bottle isn't an immediate better solution.

A: Don't know where you guys shop, but down here things must be a LOT Cheaper.

B: I like this ..." have a bung hole this could eliminate the need for a 6" threaded end piece thus decreasing your cost." I am reminded of my trips to the west of England where they use a leg of lamb to get the yeast started and the other biological going in making a barrel of hard cider. Kind of like using a possum to start shine mash! ...Anyway, those folks have been using wooden kegs out behind the barn for hundreds of years and the bung hole idea works just fine. In fact, they would probably laugh at the whole idea of complicating things.

Now, I figure that I would finish drinking a five gallon batch in about three weeks. I was actually trying to find the simplest and most cost effective way to keep five gallons in one container AND be able to easily dispense the stuff.

I'm not sure what's complicated about buying inexpensive and existing equipment.

the simplest and most cost effective way to keep five gallons in one container AND be able to easily dispense the stuff

Since you desire it flat, This is easy.
Serve it from your carboy with an autosiphon.
or
Serve it from your bottling bucket

Another easy option to store and dispense flat beer:

p5482z.jpg

Just put it in a fridge for a day and bring it out to serve. Should stay cool for hours.

But to OP, I do like your idea. So long as PVC doesn't leach into your beer. A cheap trial would be to put vodka in a short (<3" long) piece of 1" diam pipe with ends. Then taste it after a few days in the fridge. You should be able to pick up any leachates in the vodka.

Another word of warning that I didn't see posted here:
Be careful the type of threaded end that you use, not all of them are water-tight. I've seen this exact thing you describe when out Geo-Caching (google it) and the container was definitely wet inside. If water can get in, then pressurized beer can certainly get out. Not saying all screw fittings are like this, just watch out.

I admit to being math illiterate, how do you calculate that?

No problem!

Area = pi*r^2

Area =pi*3*3=pi*9=28.27in^2

1gallon = 231in^3----> 5*231=1155in^3 for 5 gallons

finally: 1155in^3 / 28.27in^2 = 40.856in in length

For cylinders volume is equal to cross-sectional area times length. So calculate the area of the 6" pipe and divide that into the volume of 5 gallons. What you end up with is the required length to match the volume desired.

I be a math nerd. :D

No problem!

Area = pi*r^2

Area =pi*3*3=pi*9=28.27in^2

1gallon = 231in^3----> 5*231=1155in^3 for 5 gallons

finally: 1155in^3 / 28.27in^2 = 40.856in in length

For cylinders volume is equal to cross-sectional area times length. So calculate the area of the 6" pipe and divide that into the volume of 5 gallons. What you end up with is the required length to match the volume desired.

I be a math nerd. :D

Wow...just wow!!!

Calculate on math nerd!!!! :mug:

(thanks)

You do realize there are calculators online that do the math for ya right?

I actually googled "5 gallons in cubic inches" and you get 1155cuin.
Then find the volume of a cylinder calc and play with the length until you get 1155 cubic inches using a radius of 3".

Go ahead and build it since you're not going to be dissuaded. I don't like trolls.

Bobby, I respect you and OllllO immenesly, and I have learned from both of you, a lot.

But what's the point of dissuading someone from experimenting? It's not going to kill him (probably) nor is it going to cause the world to come to an end (unless he sticks it in the new partical accelerator)...It may fail miserably, or it might succeed, or it might succeed and be wildly impractical...But so what???

If it makes the OP, or anyone else here happy to try it, or at least discuss the "what if's" about it, then I don't see what the problem is...

Is it somehow that since you and OllllO are so vehemently against it, and if someone tries it and succeeds you might actually be "wrong?" Or be perceived as not knowing anything about brewing?

Both of your "cred" is way too high on this place, and the majority of us here KNOW how much you guys know about brewing to EVER think something like that. BUT that doesn't mean that either of your words, or opinions, nor mine, nor anyone's on EVERY subject is gospel.

In my life, both in my hobbies, and especially in my "professional" life I've eaten enough goddam crow to grow wings....and guess what? Those times that I actually got my huge-ass ego out of the way and shut my mouth, or at least admittied that I might be wrong, I learned something I didn't know before....(Heck, knowing me, I probably learned MORE that way, then by books, or school.)

:mug:

The OP asked for a sniff test on his idea:
OK, call me crazy....or maybe others have already tried this!

Yesterday, while walking through Home Depot I noticed the 6 inch wide PVC pipe used for water lines. The stuff has walls that look to be over 1/4 inch thick. I cannot drink beer that is very carbonated. In fact, have to pour the beer back and forth until I remove the carbonation.

You can purchase this pipe with component to create a permanently seal on one end and a screw top on the top. My thought, cut one to a length to hold five gallons plus some head space. Seal the bottom & use a screw top on the other end. Add a tap. Prime very lightly when adding beer.

Your thoughts? This would surely beat bottling and still not have to make large batches as it is just for me.

and

the simplest and most cost effective way to keep five gallons in one container AND be able to easily dispense the stuff

Bobby and I agree that it's not cost effective based on the OP's own criteria. No one here said it wasn't possible or cool.

We provided cost estimates, the OP has not.
In fact, I provided examples in which it would make sense to make the keg (the 20g small footprint example).

Next, the OP takes us to task for over-complicating things (with facts, I presume).

I ask you, If I were to post the the following, wouldn't you tend to agree that is the most cost effective way to solve the problem?

Problem:
What is the easiest and most cost effective means of serving 5 gallons of beer given that I cannot drink carbed beer.

Answer:
or
Serve it from your bottling bucket.

How does making a keg out of PVC rank compared to that?

For the record, I have used a bottling bucket to serve lightly carbed beer right from the spigot. It works fine for what it is, which is basically a poor lazy man's alternative to bottling.

Revvy, I don't think I like where you've gone here. It sounds like you're suggesting that any time an idea is posted for consideration, it should be fully supported as if we don't see any shortcomings in it. Kind of like the old, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". If the OP wasn't trolling and really wanted some opinions, you'd rather I not participate. Ok. I do tend to play devil's advocate more often than not, but if ideas can't stand up to scrutiny it's not my fault.

Frankly, I think ollllo and I have done more legwork on the idea than the OP was willing to.

The OP asked for a sniff test on his idea:

and

Bobby and I agree that it's not cost effective based on the OP's own criteria. No one here said it wasn't possible or cool.

We provided cost estimates, the OP has not.
In fact, I provided examples in which it would make sense to make the keg (the 20g small footprint example).

Next, the OP takes us to task for over-complicating things (with facts, I presume).

I ask you, If I were to post the the following, wouldn't you tend to agree that is the most cost effective way to solve the problem?

Problem:
What is the easiest and most cost effective means of serving 5 gallons of beer given that I cannot drink carbed beer.

Answer:
or
Serve it from your bottling bucket.

How does making a keg out of PVC rank compared to that?

And I'm sure by now the OP has read your opinions...does that mean that the case is closed? It seems like every time the rest of us acknowlege you and decide that we still want to discuss it, you guys come back in and try to dissuade us further?

WHY? What's in it for you.

WE HAVE HEARD YOU! EACH TIME WE HAVE HEARD YOU.

You did the same thing when I posted the 1880's thread....And I brushed it off...

You are right, all those things are more practical...but maybe we want to throw practical out of the window, and continue to "what if" this until we are bored with it....Maybe this if more fun for some of us, to brainstorm, then hanging out in the debate forums.

And maybe someone will actually do it....So what?

I'm going to go back to this statement again....

But what's the point of dissuading someone from experimenting? It's not going to kill him (probably) nor is it going to cause the world to come to an end (unless he sticks it in the new partical accelerator)...It may fail miserably, or it might succeed, or it might succeed and be wildly impractical...But so what???

If it makes the OP, or anyone else here happy to try it, or at least discuss the "what if's" about it, then I don't see what the problem is...

Another thought to the OP,

Using your cylinder idea, what about adding a piston head inside the cylinder?

This complicates it more, but if you pressurized the cylinder on the opposite side of the beer, you would create a pressure column to push the beer out. This would keep the CO2 out of the beer, but give you more volume output over gravity feed systems.

If you can find an end cap that fits inside of the 6" pipe, then add 2 flat O rings that snuggly fit between the head and the inside walls of the 6" pipe, you would have the ability to push with gas. Maybe even use the small CO2 cylinders for paint ball guns.

Complicated? Yes! Fun to build? YES!!

If the OP came in with pictures and a description of a working prototype and said, "hey, what do you guys think of this thing I made from scrap parts".. I probably wouldn't have said "hey, cool, nice way to recycle". Hmmm, well that wasn't how it happened.

It's like the guys that come in with their second ever batch and post a recipe that includes 60% crystal malt. The answer isn't always, "great idea".

No, I don't suggest anyone take anyone's word as gospel (you should know better given some of the debate threads) but I enjoy actively participating in these threads as the devil's advocate.

Ok, since there was such a departure from the brainstorming I'll give you this nugget. I was thinking about an idea for dispensing kegged beer (mostly for remote areas) without CO2 but also without oxidizing. It would be similar to a party pig's pouch, but reusable and allow for pressure changes. How? With a rubber bladder inside the keg attached to the exterior with a schrader valve. You add additional dispensing pressure with a bicycle pump. There's my positive contribution to the thread.

I really have nothing else to go by but the poster's words.
Easiest
Cost effective.

I really don't want to exhume the other thread but I believe you were looking for the easiest and quickest way to make a historical looking keg servering dealie.

These were never presented as:
The most innovative,
creative,
gratifying to build,
etc.

So why should I inject that criteria? The editorial WE you use did not state that as a criteria. Even give the opportunity to drop cost effective from the mix the OP gives a blanket statement that "things cost less there" but offers no information.

Last I checked I don't have the power to stop anyone from doing any project they wish.

As for what's in it for me????

The OP maintains that he can make this idea compete with a cornie keg and later he suggests a wooden barrel.

I have kegs, I use kegs. I would love a barrel. I am challenging the OP to show me that this is cost effective as he states. If it is, then I am on board. That is my interest.

Ok, since there was such a departure from the brainstorming I'll give you this nugget. I was thinking about an idea for dispensing kegged beer (mostly for remote areas) without CO2 but also without oxidizing. It would be similar to a party pig's pouch, but reusable and allow for pressure changes. How? With a rubber bladder inside the keg attached to the exterior with a schrader valve. You add additional dispensing pressure with a bicycle pump. There's my positive contribution to the thread.

How would the dip tube pass through the bladder?

Well, see now you want me to give away all my secrets. Actually, there's no reason to believe the bladder has to occupy the entire diameter of the keg. It just has to hold the air you pump in and displace the CO2/beer in the keg.

I've heard d42 state that a by the time a keg is half empty there is enough gas and pressure to serve the rest of the keg when disconnected from the gas.

Well, see now you want me to give away all my secrets. Actually, there's no reason to believe the bladder has to occupy the entire diameter of the keg. It just has to hold the air you pump in and displace the CO2/beer in the keg.

Ahhhh.... It all makes sense now!

I wish you wouldn't...I wish we could turn this back into a brainstorming thread like it might have been intended and not a debate about the merits of doing something.

Well I guess I could still contribute but only if we are going to treat this as an experiment not a cost effective venture. I mean calling the OP a troll because he wont back down on the idea of doing this is a little out of hand in my opinion. The big Kahuna answered the thread well, yes it is possible, and yes it's probably safe, and no it's probably not cost effective. Plus side of this all is that if someone actually does it successfully we could make back packs that look like scuba gear but instead of dispensing oxygen they would dispense beer! I could truly be Duff Man :drunk:

I re-read this and I think I see the source of the misunderstanding.

I just said it would not be cost effective and that existing equipment is available.

Which was in resposne to the post above it asking why we thought the idea was not do-able somehow.

"I just said," might have read better as "All I said was".

My comment was not meant to stifle any further discussion, but instead to respond to the fact that I made no comment on the technical merits of whether this could work, etc. It can be done without a doubt. I was not closing the case.

As for the direction of the tread being brainstorming and experimental, OK.

The OPs last words on this was:
I was actually trying to find the simplest and most cost effective way to keep five gallons in one container AND be able to easily dispense the stuff.

I guess I will ignore that and treat this as an experiment in logic.

It can be done and given that cost is off the table and we are married to these materials, what's to talk about?

I called him a troll because he stated a goal and asked for feedback. Feedback was given and the OP came in with short generic responses that didn't advance the discussion by refuting any of the points or suggestions given. It's typical troll behavior.

OP: I want to make a keg out of PVC.
ollllo: try cornies.
OP: it can be done cheap.
Me: here are some prices from Mcmaster.com
OP: it's cheaper down here.

The truth is, regulars in here myself included are used to quick draw discussions where the thread can go 5 pages in an hour and it could just be that the OP isn't acclimated yet.

You know I was thinking that those food grade cubes could work too, not the prettiest thing but if your doing on the cheap I guess they would probably work. olllllo your right the OP did originally say he wanted a cheap option, we kind of just ran with it thinking it would be a good project but never really thought about the original idea that this would be a cheaper option than cornies. It was starting to look like the debate forum in here, god forbid. You know in all honesty I think we all just got too serious about this whole thing I say we all sit back and have a brew. Cheers!!

Even cheaper than the carbonator cap would be a male flare fitting onto which you screw the CO2 charger on. You could install a bottling bucket spigot on so you wouldn't even need a dip tube. If you don't make up the increasing headspace with co2, it will oxidize the beer in a couple days.

Hold the presses... I just remembered this collapsable 5 gallon container I use for water when camping:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80820

The bag just collapses as you drain it... no oxygen intake to worry about. Now the case is F'ing closed my friends. It solves every one of the OP's requirements.

Latest posts

Back