Keezer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinop

Reaction score
This is not my first time kegging, as I have an extra fridge with a regulator, gas bottle, & a simple picnic tap with a 5 foot hose attached. Been using this for a couple of years with no issues.

A few months ago, I bought a used keezer that came all put together with 3 taps/shanks, a regulator, temp controller & gas distribution for 3 kegs which all appeared to be working correctly. The guy I bought it from is friends with lots of other friends of mine so I wasn't concerned with the reliability of the keezer. The freezer & temp controller all work fine with no issues. First thing I notice when I turn on the gas to force carb a chilled keg is a very loud sound of the beer inside the keg bubbling; never heard that with my other fridge??? As soon as the space is filled with gas, the bubbling sound stops. Have tried different amounts of gas but as long as there is CO2 going into the keg, there is a very noticeable sound of liquid bubbling. When I attempt to pour a beer out of the keg, it sputters & eventually spits out nothing but foam. This happens with a new keg, one that has sat for a few days, even tried a keg that is already carbonated in my other fridge & used the keezer with just enough pressure (2-5#) to dispense the beer. Sputters & eventually spits out foam. One of the hoses is 5 foot, the other two hoses are 10 feet long, neither length gives different results. If I take that same keg from the keezer to my fridge, with a different regulator/gas/5 foot picnic tap, I get a great pour. I have replaced all the gas lines & beer lines with new hoses specific for the keezer. I talked to guy I bought it from to see if he had the same issue which he said he had not but also had not used the keezer for about a year.

Been going through the archives here to try to find a solution to no avail. Could this be an issue with the regulator or gas distribution? My first thoughts were that I was over-carbing but I get normal pours from my other fridge. The sound that the gas makes going into the keg is the same one as a kid with a straw in a glass of water; freaked me out the first time I heard it, to say the least. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to use my other fridge to ferment my beers in & this keezer to dispense beer.

"Sounds" like your gas line is connected to your liquid line and vice versa. The bubbling is CO2 entering your beer through the bottom of your drip tube...an impatient man's way to quick carb a new beer.

^ Yup, one way or the other CO2 is ending up on the long dip tube in the keg. Either the QDs are on the wrong lines, or someone swapped the short and long dip tubes under the posts...

Cheers!

Alternatively, you could have overfilled the keg, above the short gas dip tube.

Latest posts

Back