Whirlpooling when using a plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobeman

Reaction score
'm pretty new to brewing and until now have been using a standard immersion chiller. I only recently began Whirlpooling during chilling which is kind of a PITA with the chiller in the BK because of having to lift the spoon on each cycle to get over the chiller hoses. To simplify my process I picked up a plate chiller which I will be trying this weekend.

Because I'll be using the plate chiller my cooling cycle should only last a few moments. I've read all the debates here about hot side aeration so I'm reluctant to whirlpool my hot wort before draining it through my plate chiller.

What should I do:
Whirlpool the hot wort then chill? I'm thinking not.
Chill, then whirlpool?
Skip the whirlpool and hope that the rapid cooling gives me a better cold break than I had with just my immersion chiller?

Thanks.

Brobeman

Big breweries whirlpool before they run through chiller. IT does not take much of a whirlpool to get trube in the center away from dip tube

Back