Hop Drying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When to stop drying is fairly easy...I go through the math of calculating moisture content in our newsletter article:

This is the best method to determine the actual moisture content. The problem is that you need to basically destroy one of your samples. That's fine if you have hundreds of pounds, but the homegrower may not want to do that.

For the home grower, I would just assume you start at 80% moisture content and calculate a dry weight.

So, the formula is:

M% = ((Ww ‐ Wd)/ Ww) x 100
M% = moisture content (%)
Ww = wet weight of the sample
Wd = weight of the sample after drying​
Normally, we get the wet weight and dry a sample out completely to get the dry weight. What I'm suggesting for the homegrower is assume 80% and calculate a dry weight...

Assuming a wet weight of 10 oz:

Wd = (1 - (M%/100)) x Ww) = (1 - (80%/100) x 10 oz = 2 oz
Now assuming you want to get to a final moisture content of 10%...

Wfinal = Wd /(1‐ (M%/100)) = 2 oz/(1-(10/100)) = 2.22 oz​

I should note, for commecial processing, we need to get down to 8% to 12%. If you are using them whole cone, you should be below 20% at least. The lower the better from the standpoint of longevity.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Or the even simpler solution is to see that the final weight is 2.22 oz/10 oz = .22 = 22% or ~1/4 to 1/5th the original wet weight. So weigh your initial sample and when it weighs 1/4 to 1/5th the original weight, you should be in the right ball park.

Now for how...

For small amounts, I really like using the screen door. If the humidity is low enough, leave them out in the garage. Otherwise, bring them in the house. In about 24 hours, you should be good. just keep weighing them. If you want, put a small fan on them.

Heat is bad. Above 100F, the essential oils evaporate. Above 140F, alpha acids break down. Just treat them as if you were making potpourri out of flowers from the garden, except when you are done, don't paint them and put them in a bowl on the coffee table.

I lay them out on a screen door in the garage and turn the cooler on without the water running. 48 hours does the trick.

Back