Filtration and aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline7

Reaction score
I was listening to episode 54 of the Basic Brewing podcast today and it was mentioned that using a filtering system can result in "drinking optimal beer in about 10 days". They were talking about the typical systems that go between two kegs like this one from Midwest.

I've always heard that it was the yeast itself that helped age and mellow the beer. So my question is, does anybody filter, and if so, does it really affect the aging time of beer that dramatically? I always assumed that you'd still want the beer to age for at least three or four weeks before filtering and kegging.

Don't filter, but leaving the yeasties in, as well as all your hops/grains, to do their job plays a big role in your beer. Others please chime in, but I almost always leave mine in fermentation longer then recommended or calculated, and then keg using stainless steel screen (I ferment in cornie with Sure Screen found at northern brewer, force over into carbing/serving keg). So far all of my beers have been really clear (some of the stouts, depending on the glass, you can't see through that well) and quite tasty. Personally, I'm not a fan of green beer...

I've always wondered how breweries like Summit and others were able to go from mash to bottle in less than a month, and have a great tasting brew.

I have a filter but don't use it.

No need.

Your beer will fall crystal clear with patience and some cold storage. Use Whirfloc in your boil (last 15 minutes) and gelatin in your secondary and you'll have very clear beer with the complexity of an unfiltered beer.

clearestbeer.jpg

Back