head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
i racked over my hefe today into my seconday 6 gallon carboy. i realized that there was a lot of empty head space...i happed to buy one of those handy keg charger the last time was at the brew shop. I got the idea to flood the head space with the charger...dont know if it will help or not but its only co2 so dont think it will do any harm...plus i got to play with my new toy, i mean tool.

friarjohn:ban:

You put CO2 in the vessel. CO2 is heaver than air and will push out air to prevent any oxygenation of the beer.

.... I suppose you could tube the CO2 being produced constantly by one fermentation into the headspace of your resting vessel... no problem if it slows down or stops as the CO2 in place will do the job, being heavier than air, as someone has already mentioned. (or even into your empty sterilised resting vessel a day or so before you fill it.)

Yup. for all intents, I just use a hose to get the c02 to the carboy (Or whatever) and let it blow for a few seconds. Gives a nice blanket of Co2 and then You're good to go.

So easy? I will definitely try it out.
I wonder it it's worth to purge empty fermenter before racking beer to it to secondary fermentation, in order to minimize oxygenation (I use plastic buckets).

Latest posts

Back