non SRM IPod w/o iTunes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can it be done?

I want to get my wife the IPod mini or shuffle.
All of my stuff is non-drm .mp3 at a bit rate I prefer.

I do not want to install iTunes. I don't want anything converted to another format. (The next time I change formats will be to flac or some other lossless format - but that's another thread.)

Can I hack this device to be a drag and drop affair (like a removable hard-drive)?

I've hacked my Verizon Razor to avoid airtime charges for d/l ringtones and (I put them on my phone directly) and to get internet access. I don't have any fears about some lame warranty, etc.

Has anyone here done it? What do I need to do?

iTunes has setting for whichever format you like. It's just set to convert music to Apples aac format. You can import all your mp3's into iTunes with no problems, just make sure under preferences it set at mp3 not aac.

It may be just spite on my part, but I'd still choose to avoid it.

I wouldn't buy a fermenter if it was only allowed to use White Labs. (Not that I have anything against WhiteLabs.

lol, I used to feel that way about it, but even with some of the best linux hacks, after crashing my ipod about the 3rd time, I gave up and went back to iTunes. no problems since. YMMV

iTunes is just fine. You can import any type of MP3 into the library and push them onto the pod. No conversions necessary. I wanted to hate it... trust me, but it is the most functional mp3 management tool I've come across.

If you want an iPod, iTunes is the most functional piece of software around. I personally went with a Phillips 6GB GoGear PMP for less than the cost of a 2GB Nano. Plus it has an FM tuner, voice reocorder and ability to store pics (although I have never done anythign but CD art.) It is also HDD based so no worrying about read/write cycles like the flash based players.

It is Windows Media based, but will allow mounting it like any other drive and just dragging songs onto it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Google Rockbox. It's a Linux based hack for most MP3 players. I installed it on a Cowon iAudio, and it's awesome.

I looked into this as well, Yuri, but it looks like it isn't suppoorted on the models I was looking into.

Thanks though!

I also appreciate all of the other suggestions, especially the ones that list other alternative players.
If it were for me, I'd get a non- apple player.

As it stands now, I have a really small Samsung 512mb player with FM. That's enough entertainment for marathon training.

It's for her and she's getting it because that's what she wants.

So you iTunes experts oout there...

Are you saying that I will not have to mess with my network file structure to make this work?

I keep hearing that if you do not have all of your stuff in an iTunes folder, then certain features will not work.

I keep my MP3 files in a folder called MUSIC. Actually I have two sub folders, "raw ID3 MP3" and "clean ID3 Music". Newly downloaded files go into raw until I can clean up the ID3 data.

Launch iTunes. It asks if you want to scan your drive for music... say F&CK you...I mean no. Go to "file", "add folder to library" and navigate the folders of your choice (I only add the clean ID3 folder here). It will simply build a library list of all the files in that folder and display the ID3 info in iTunes. I believe it will also ask if you'd like to COPY those files to the iTunes music folder... just say no. If you add new files to your folder of choice, simply tell iTunes to import the folder again. It only adds the new files. It's pretty smart.

Thanks Bobby_M.

Are you manually cleaning up your tags? Software? I have that task ahead of me on some legacy stuff I have.

I think Yuri asked the same question awhile back and I don't think he got a satisfactory answer.

Just bought one of these. $40

vplay_big.jpg

I have a freeware tag editor called MP3Library though I'm having trouble finding a download site for it. It's probably 8 years old by now so maybe there are better freewares out there now. It took me about 14 hours to convert and normalize all tags and then normalize file names of 3000 files.

Are you using it on a PC or a Mac? If you're on a Mac, it's difficult to beat itunes, simply from an integration standpoint (the old Mac adage "it just works" comes to mind). For a PC here's some links

Comparison of a variety of alternatives

One alternative that I've heard positive about, but haven't tried

I think YamiPod and Anapod are the two most popular alternatives. As others have mentioned, you can always use itunes with MP3 (and I think with FLAC as well, but it may require a plugin).

And I'm assuming you meant "non-DRM iPod..." since SRM is beer related and completely off topic for these forums :p

olllllo said:
Are you saying that I will not have to mess with my network file structure to make this work?

I keep hearing that if you do not have all of your stuff in an iTunes folder, then certain features will not work.

I believe the secret here is telling iTunes where to find your music, it's one of the preferences, and that way you won't be moving big folders around. Also, make sure you deselect "copy to itunes music folder" option. That way you won't be making a copy of everything when you import it into itunes.

If you are a winamp user, you can keep rolling along (including pulling files from the ipod to the compy) cept it isn't drag and drop. Personally, I like managing mine with iTunes just for the simplicity of it all. You can also rip CDs w/ iTunes as mp3s @ 320

quick question....

I didnt know about changing the format to mp3 until you guys said something. Is there anyway I can change all of the songs Ive ripped already to mp3?

And what is the name of the folder the music is kept in? Sorry for the noobish questions, and thanks in advance

I'm sure you'll find iTunes' music folder specified in the preferences. I know because I went in there prior to ripping to make sure the files went where I wanted them. I'm not sure about the converting to MP3 thing but you might want to just start over anyway because you might have ripped at a lower quality than you maybe should have. I rip at 256 whereas the default is 128 (sounds really bad on a good audio system).

Chimone:

If there is Apple DRM involved you need to go find the HYMN link in this thread. I have used a format coverter (can't remember. I'll have to look it up when I get home) to convert to mp3.

Chimone said:
quick question....

I didnt know about changing the format to mp3 until you guys said something. Is there anyway I can change all of the songs Ive ripped already to mp3?

And what is the name of the folder the music is kept in? Sorry for the noobish questions, and thanks in advance

Like mentioned, the folder location will be in your prefs under the advanced tab

Winamp might also be able to convert your AAC files to MP3. Go to their site or google up and make sure. I would check but I don't have any AACs to screw with. Apple DRM really shouldn't be an issue on anything you have ripped into your compy only stuff purchased via iTunes store (which I burn to disk and rip back in as mp3 anyhow and never really have to cross the DRM bridge)...

Latest posts

Back