Electric Elements in Thinner wall pots...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Hi Team,

Anyone have any experience in mounting electric elements in thinner walled pots (like 24 gauge sidewalls)....worried the thinner wall won't provide the needed support...

Specifically considering a Blichmann Boilcoil....

Thanks

Not sure about the thin wall kettles, but I love my boil coil from Blichman. it is faster than my gas burners I used before and I can use it indoors year round.

I'm using a regular ULWD ripple element in my thin walled bayou classic kettles... it works great and is plenty strong. I dont use an immersion chiller but I have no doubt one could rest on the element with no concerns.

yeah even the bayou classics are 20 gauge sides.....

these are the legacy MoreBeer kettles from around 2008. They are nicely made....made in italy, however the bottom is 20 gauge and sides are 24 gauge....

yeah even the bayou classics are 20 gauge sides.....

these are the legacy MoreBeer kettles from around 2008. They are nicely made....made in italy, however the bottom is 20 gauge and sides are 24 gauge....

still not sure how it could be an issue..

a smaller 1.25" round hole from a regular element like the stainless ripple units might have the advantage over the larger rectangle hole that the blichmann unit uses as far as compromising the strength of the mounted area but I really think that either would work fine...

If your really concerned and not dead set on the Boil coil, I would just skip the blichmann element which is very expensive. Then take that money to buy an all stainless element like the new ripple units actually made for home brewing...they are only $40 which gives you plenty of left over money to buy a stronger kettle if it would set your mind at ease... This would cost less than the blichmann element itself. I dont believe there is any advantage to the blichmann besides the built in plug on the outside of the kettle. using a TC setup or making your own quick disconnect cord would work to accomplish the same thing. Just an option or two...

Thanks augiegoggy....good points about the new wavy coils versus the boilcoil.

oddly enuff, the mounting of the boilcoil was one of the reasons I was leaning toward it. To mount it, one drills/punches two 5/8 inch holes in the pot. The holes are 2.5 inches apart. Ther the coil and exterior parts are mounted to each side of the pot. the rectangular parts you see act squeeze against each side of the pot....acting like two large washers on each side of the pot...adding greatly to the rigidness of the install....here is a link to the install diagram for the boilcoil...

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/blichmann-boilcoil/blichmann-electric-brewing

With the wavy element, it is only held by the quarter inch contact of the nut and washer around the perimeter of the hole.

I did a pretty bad job explaining that...perhaps if you check out the install diagram for the boilcoil, you will see what I mean....

I'm using a regular ULWD ripple element in my thin walled bayou classic kettles... it works great and is plenty strong. I dont use an immersion chiller but I have no doubt one could rest on the element with no concerns.

For the record I had an IC on a weldless element in my old setup and no issues. As part of my leaktesting I also do a moderate tug/push/pull on all my fittings and the elements had no issues. Both Bayou and the Concord pots.

Thanks augiegoggy....good points about the new wavy coils versus the boilcoil.

oddly enuff, the mounting of the boilcoil was one of the reasons I was leaning toward it. To mount it, one drills/punches two 5/8 inch holes in the pot. The holes are 2.5 inches apart. Ther the coil and exterior parts are mounted to each side of the pot. the rectangular parts you see act squeeze against each side of the pot....acting like two large washers on each side of the pot...adding greatly to the rigidness of the install....here is a link to the install diagram for the boilcoil...

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/blichmann-boilcoil/blichmann-electric-brewing

With the wavy element, it is only held by the quarter inch contact of the nut and washer around the perimeter of the hole.

I did a pretty bad job explaining that...perhaps if you check out the install diagram for the boilcoil, you will see what I mean....
I wasnt aware of that... good to know.

Back