My dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I was hoping to brew tomorrow using some WLP400 that I washed a few months ago. This will be my first attempt at using washed yeast. I know I've read post here stating that starters are not always necessary when using watched yeast, but I had decided I would make a starter tongiht any way just ot proof the yeast.

As it turns out, I don't have any DME here so I can't make a starter. What do you guys thing about me giving it a shot without a starter tomorrow? If it works great, if not, it'll be saturday before I can pick up yeast from the lhbs. Further complicating it is that visible signs of fermentation may not appear between Friday and Saturday.. decisions..

If it's a couple months old I would probably want to make a starter.
I guess it also depends on how much yeast you have to pitch?
Maybe go to pitching rate calculator and see see how much yeast you need calculating the viability from the date you harvested it to see if you have enough?
You could try taking some wort from the beer you are brewing, put it in a small pot boil it up chill it down and make a starter from that.
Or maybe take a bit of grain do a mini mash on stove and make a starter from that.

Latest posts

Back