Cornhusker Cup winner, first pepper beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
It's been a good weekend. Every year Nebraska puts on this festival called the River City Roundup. Also included was a BJCP homebrew competition.

Our brewclub put out notice for the competition and I read through the competition information. Also included was a subcompetition for a laser etched mug labeled the "Cornhusker Cup". All that was required was that 25% of the grainbill had to be corn (Nebraska being the Cornhusker state and all).

I thought, hey I can do that, and made what I decided to call "Nebraska Bugeater Wheat". (for those that don't know, Bugeaters was the name of University of Nebraska's football team prior to the Huskers). It's an American wheat with 3 lbs of flaked maize added to the mash.

In any case I won! by default... :cool: No other entries were there but our certified BJCP judges said it was a fantastic beer.

I guess I'll take a default win. The mug will be in the mail I guess!

In any case, what I count as a big win is that I tasted my first pepper beer. I tried both a jalepeno and habenero beer. I of course have heard of these but thought I'd never try one ever because it just doesn't sound like beer. However, I can safely say that anytime I want chips and salsa and a beer I'll be looking for one of these beers instead. It's like having that in a bottle, but better. I need to brew one of these!

Cheers folks, happy Saturday. I just had to share! :mug:

Back