time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ones got it yet, but some of the guesses have been pretty close. One more round for the win. Everyone guess again, I guarantee someone will get it this time.

emjay said:
Belgian Golden Strong (my original guess before switching to saison :D)

That's the one. My attempt at a Duvel clone. You can't get their yeast, but I got pretty close, almost dried it out enough @1.009. I could have added some sugar to get it drier, but it was already almost 9% and I have a lot of trouble getting beers over 9% to bottle carb in a timely manner

Sure you can get their yeast... WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale) and Wyeast 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale).

Huh... id heard that Duvels yeast strain was closely guarded, and that they bottle condition with a different strain than what they ferment with. I did use the 570, however I gave the beer my usual belgian treatment of starting and holding fermentation at 60 degrees for 2 days, then letting it go into the upper 70s, and just that alone can have a huge impact on flavor. If I had to guess id say Duvel ferments in the 60s just because its more of a restrained earthy flavor, not so much a frontal banana clove beatdown

I think you're confusing Duvel for Orval, as that's what they're widely believed to do.

However, White Labs actually even has the Orval strain. It's one of their seasonal releases (I believe May/June), and Wyeast doesn't even have it at all, so it's still more limited than most, and I see a lot of people trying to brew it with other strains, especially Wyeast devotees (I personally use White Labs about 95% of the time, mostly because of their customer club :D). In fact, I actually have a vial of that particular strain in my fridge right now, patiently waiting for me to brew a clone.

Anyways, looks like I won twice in a row, but I promise I'll actually have a picture this time!

Huh... id heard that Duvels yeast strain was closely guarded, and that they bottle condition with a different strain than what they ferment with. I did use the 570, however I gave the beer my usual belgian treatment of starting and holding fermentation at 60 degrees for 2 days, then letting it go into the upper 70s, and just that alone can have a huge impact on flavor. If I had to guess id say Duvel ferments in the 60s just because its more of a restrained earthy flavor, not so much a frontal banana clove beatdown

i seem to recall reading about a few folks that made good clones from the bottle harvested yeast.

beer12.jpg

The beer is a commercial example, and it's actually much more clear than the picture makes it look.

Germelli1 said:
Dopplebock

There we go!

The hilarious part is I had declared you winner a while back, for all of 5 seconds. When I submitted that post, you had already changed your answer, and so I quickly edited it :D

Noticeable alcohol taste is pretty much a given with the style.

There we go!

The hilarious part is I had declared you winner a while back, for all of 5 seconds. When I submitted that post, you had already changed your answer, and so I quickly edited it :D

lame clue. you don't need to explain it, i get the clue. i had a good idea that doppel was the beer after this and the monk clue. i guessed something else because i didn't like your clues. there, take that!

FromZwolle said:
lame clue. you don't need to explain it, i get the clue. i had a good idea that doppel was the beer after this and the monk clue. i guessed something else because i didn't like your clues. there, take that!

Quite cryin on his shoes and post a beer ;)

There we go!

I know I was thinking eisbock and accidentally typed dopplebock first so I tried to ninja edit...I should have listened to my sub-conscience :D

Give me a few minutes and I will have a pic!

Back