Mead Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a 5 gallon batch of mead.
What I want to do is make just a traditional mead in a 5 gallon carboy.

Then I want to rack it into 5 1 gallon carboys, so I can experiment a little bit.
I want to keep 2 gallons traditional, and add some differents fruits and/or spices to the other 3 gallons. Would this work?

Also, how much foam is generated on a batch of traditional mead, no fruit or any other adjuncts added?

I think I would like to make 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Would I have enough headspace?

Thanks!:ban: :D :ban:

yes, you can split it up like that.
mead really doesn't krausen at all like beer. you can do 5 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon carboy without using a blowoff.

Sound great. I do things like that often. Some info you might need is, If you make 5 full gallons you will need 7 or 8 single gallon carboys. Even with keeping 2 traditional batches by adding fruit, go with about 2 lbs of fruit per gallon an no less than 1 lb, you will displace a lot of liquid. As the fruit is fermenting it will expand!!!

Depending on the yeast you use, the amount of honey, and type of fruit you will need some room in the 1 gallon jugs. I use Lalvin D47 yeast and it works exceptional well with the berries. The berries will usually expand from twice to 4 times their size. I have had a few push the airlock and they can blow it off if they clog the tube. However a Blueberry Melomel is about my favorite. I am ready to bottle 5 gallons right now.

Back