LBHS recommended 145 rest...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennisim

Reaction score
So I am doing a brew with rye + 6 row and my LHBS told me to do a mash with a 145 for 30 and a 152 for 60 (then mash out). Would this be advantageous over my normal 152 mash? Thanks.
-Matt

Hard to know without knowing your recipe. 152 is a common single infusion temp: it's right in the middle of Beta/Alpha amylase conversion. There are some IPAs that do call for a 145 to 152 step infusion. The real answer is that either one is appropriate: it's just dependant on how you want your beer.

My recipe is:
5.5gal batch

8# 6 Row
3# Rye malt
1# Flaked Corn
1# White Wheat Malt
0.5# Rice Hulls

1.00oz Cascade (5.5) 60min
1.00oz Cascade (5.5) 10min

Yeast: WLP001

Brewhouse efficiency: 70%
est OG: 1.056
est Color: 5.2SRM
est Bitterness: 23.7IBU

A protein rest is good practice when using undermodified malt like 6-row...

Protein rests serve several practical functions. The process which occurs during that rest reduces precursors that cause chill haze, decreases β-glucans (as stated above, reducing wort viscosity), and enhances foam retention.

As brokenanchor wrote, it's really only necessary if your grist meets one or both of two criteria: 1. More than a third of the grist is unmalted cereals; 2. Your pale malt is 6-row. Usually these two go hand in hand, as 6-row's higher levels of diastatic power permit the use of over 50% unmalted cereals in the grist. That leaves extremely high levels of protein which must be reduced.
Bob

A protein rest isnt at 145 though is it?? I thought a protein rest was 120-130'F

You are correct, but plenty of protein conversion still happens even at starch conversion temps. I haven't used 6-row as it is usually used in conjunction w/ a lot of unmodified grains (like wheat) where its higher diastatic power can easily convert the starches in the unmalted grain and I don't really care for wheat beers. The LHBS might be figuring that the higher temps would be fine for this recipe and did not want to recommend a procedure that would require too much boiling water to get up to starch conversion temps (like if you use a cooler MLT). I think it would be fine, but I hope someone with some personal 6-row experience chimes in...

Back