I bought a Better Bottle today and it was scratched!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS today and bought a 6 gallon Better Bottle. I got it home and took a look at it and realized the inside of it was scratched quite a bit, as if someone had used a brush on it. I assume the interior of a Better Bottle should be in pristine condition when it you buy it, and frankly this one looks like it was used. The box appeared to be factory sealed, but who knows. Also, I was expecting to find some instructions or paperwork of some kind inside the box, but there was none. I plan to call the manufacturer in the morning and see what they have to say, then I am going back to the LHBS to exchange this for another one, which I will inspect carefully before I leave. If anyone can chime in on if anything else comes in the box with a standard 6-gallon Better Bottle, that would be great.

Just the Better Bottle and packing materials. It shouldn't look scratched though. The ribs are dimpled (for her pleasure?), but that's about it.

While I don't doubt it could be scratched, there is also a mold release agent which could leave a residue that looks like scratches.

If you still can, try wiping the inside with a soft cloth and a dowel of some kind and see if the scratching wipes off.

Linc

See, this never would have happened if you'd bought a glass carboy* instead of a plastic one. :D

*the following dig was aimed at all the glass haters that swoop in to laud the merits of their BBs in glass carboy accident threads.

*the following dig was aimed at all the glass haters that swoop in to laud the merits of their BBs in glass carboy accident threads.

That's fine. You glassholes are a dying breed; literally, dying alone in the kitchen, bleeding out from a severed artery.

Just bring it back to the shop. If it's scratched, he'll replace it. If he won't, he's probably not someone you want to do business with. I wonder if someone else bought one, "cleaned" it out with a carboy brush, said "oops" and returned it...

Back