Hodgepodge ale is this a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a considerable amount of stuff other than 2 row out in my storage trunk.

I was thinking of doing a hodgepodge ale with the us-05 I have and some hops that aren't too floral. I just want to clean up out there.

I have munich 10L, rye malt, wheat malt, flaked corn, honey malt, and carafa 3 special along with assorted single pounds of crystal 20, crystal 60, rauchmalt, roasted barley, franco-belges caravienne, and victory.

While munich could be or is a base malt technically I don't know how I feel about using upwards of 75% and then adding character malts to it.

I have done a couple 50/50 munich and 2 row beers and liked them a lot.

I was thinking of using:
40% munich
25% rye malt
25% other random character malts, probably not the crystal malts though. Carafa 3 for some roasty flavors to go with the munich
10% flaked corn, cut down on the munich profile

So... does it sound like a bad idea?

Drom John München Haken Besonderes Bitter (Redhook ESB II) is
64.4% Munich LME
26.8% Munich 10L
8.7% 60L
and is quite tasty. So I don't think upwards of 75% Munich is too much.

OTOH, your thinking does not sound like a bad idea.

It's never a bad idea to experiment!

But go easy on the crystal malts (under about 10% or so), unless you like a very sweet beer.

Edit: I just noticed the 25% rye. Throw in some rice hulls to keep the mash from getting stuck. Unless you're doing BIAB, in which case, no worries.

Edit: I just noticed the 25% rye. Throw in some rice hulls to keep the mash from getting stuck. Unless you're doing BIAB, in which case, no worries.

I will be using my regular set up... eherms.

I usually do wheat beers 50/50 with no rice hulls and lauter without a problem. Is this a rye specific thing? I know it's high in beta glucan as is the corn but was hoping it would be ok with 65% barley. All of the other stuff would have a husk except the carafa 3...

It is malted rye would that make a difference?

I will be using my regular set up... eherms.

I usually do wheat beers 50/50 with no rice hulls and lauter without a problem. Is this a rye specific thing? I know it's high in beta glucan as is the corn but was hoping it would be ok with 65% barley. All of the other stuff would have a husk except the carafa 3...

It is malted rye would that make a difference?

Rye can get a little sticky. Hard to say if 25% of it will cause problems, but wouldn't hurt to throw in some rice hulls, maybe 1/2 lb. or so.

Back