The Noise Woke Me Up....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431brew

Reaction score
It was 2:50+/- am.......I thought it was my wife snoring at first, but then realized it wasn't her. Maybe I just thought I heard something....afterall, I was sound asleep. Then the dogs barked. So I went to check on them. One of them was digging under the privacy fence and the other was barking -- his way of ratting on the other. So I decided to turn the electric fence back on. In order to do this, I would have to get the extension cord and go out to the exterior-entrance-only basement to plug it up. I can go out there in my underwear and t-shirt, but I do need my shoes.

So I went to the closet to get my shoes. I felt around for them in the dark so that I wouldn't disturb SWMBO, who is still asleep. I heard the noise again. "That was indeed SWMBO snoring," I thought to myself. I put my shoes on, stepped inside the master bath to take a leak, and as I was standing there taking care of business, I heard the noise again. From this angle, it cannot be my wife. It must be a mouse in the wall between the bedroom and closet. Then I remembered....

I brewed beer today. My Oatmeal Stout that you guys helped me with at .

I have made several 2.5 gal batches and one 5 gal batch. Have heard the airlock burp every few minutes, but never heard it breathing as I have read in the threads. This batch is breathing! I should have used my carboy and a blow off hose. The beer is blowing huge bubbles through the airlock. The lid is nice and sticky. The top looks like it could blow off any minute. I set the bucket in a pan to catch the runoff, and put a towel over its top in case the lid flies off. Hopefully, it will settle down in a few days. That is some kick-ass dry yeast the guy at the LHBS gave me to use instead of the yeast that came with the kit.

If I had not went to check on my dogs, I would not have needed my shoes and might have fallen back to sleep only to have a huge mess to clean tomorrow. Funny how things work!

Chris

I woke up one night when the lid actually DID blow off my bucket of imperial stout. That sucker went all the way to the ceiling. Scared the hell outta me. That was about 2.5 years ago and every once in a while I'll still come across a bit of imperial stout somewhere in that room.

I woke up one night when the lid actually DID blow off my bucket of imperial stout. That sucker went all the way to the ceiling. Scared the hell outta me. That was about 2.5 years ago and every once in a while I'll still come across a bit of imperial stout somewhere in that room.

AllHoppedUp, I LOL'd at the mental picture of you still finding parts of the beer. Funny!

This is really strange....at around 8 am this morning, the beer and foam had relaxed and airlock was bubbling every few seconds in clean water in the airlock. Now, it is only bubbling about once a minute.

It was about 7pm last night when I pitched the yeast, so I was surprised to be wakened by it at 5-6 hours later going at the rate it was going. Now, I am surprised at how much it has slowed down. It looks like my other fermentations did at 5-6 days old.

Does this seem strange to you guys? This is my first extract + grains and it will be quite memorable.

Chris

Sounds like a very vigorous fermentation, some of them can go very fast. I see this if I pitch on a very active yeast bed. I would just let it sit for a week and take a measurement.

Back