Anyone use the 82qt Bayou Kettle and Steamer with element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
I just took posession of a shiny new 82qt bayou classics ss kettle with steamer basket with the intention of putting a 5500w element in it and making it an electric biab w/basket type of kettle. After looking at it though...it looks like the basket is a snug fit height wise and would stick up too much to get the lid on if it had to rest on an element and pickup tube.

I'm planning on recirculating the mash, but still think that it may be suboptimal if its not a tight seal. Anyone done this type of setup with the 82qt pot/steamer? Any advice would be great as i can still return it if its a bad call altogether. Thoughts?

Thanks all.
-JD

I just took posession of a shiny new 82qt bayou classics ss kettle with steamer basket with the intention of putting a 5500w element in it and making it an electric biab w/basket type of kettle. After looking at it though...it looks like the basket is a snug fit height wise and would stick up too much to get the lid on if it had to rest on an element and pickup tube.

I'm planning on recirculating the mash, but still think that it may be suboptimal if its not a tight seal. Anyone done this type of setup with the 82qt pot/steamer? Any advice would be great as i can still return it if its a bad call altogether. Thoughts?

Thanks all.
-JD

Look for thughes thread on it. He basically did just that.

I think that with a good bag, you can ditch the basket, as quite a few people on here have reported. It seems that the basket as is inhibits the flow too much, and it is just another item to clean.

I modified my basket by cutting the bottom out about five inches from the bottom, turning it upside down, and reataching it with ss pop rivits. I fashoned the bottom piece into a stand using the excess as legs to keep the basket up off the bottom of the kettle. I've got about 5 inches under the basket for the element and plumbing.

Thanks all. After looking at it up close...the inside was all scratched up pretty bad so I shipped it back. I think the basket shredded it up during transit. Anyhow...I dont think I need the basket based on some of the feedback. Thanks all.

-JD

u could always two inches off the bottom of the basket and use the bottom as a heatshield to prevent the bag from getting burnt.

Back