Will this be remotely drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Quick Pick DIPA
Partial mash - 5 gallon batch
White Labs 001

7lb Extra Pale LME
1lb Belgian Candi Sugar clear
1lb Agave nectar
1lb Golden promise
1lb Belgian Pale Ale Malt
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Melanoidin
.5 lb Carastan

@60 - 1.5oz Nugget & .5oz Sticklebract
Continuous 60 to 15 - 3oz Horizon, 1.5oz Warrior
@15 - 3oz Yakima, .5oz Kent Golding
@5 - 2.5oz Columbus, 1.5oz Galena
DH - 1.5oz Amarillo, .5 Northern Brewer

The timing, specific hops, & amounts of hops were all decided by random number generator. The base was just something I threw together based on what looked interesting that I've never used.

I'm comfortable with a high probability of utter almost undrinkable beer insanity and the code of random batching won't let me alter the hop schedule but I could definitely tweak any of the other ingredients. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your final gravity might end up a good deal higher than you might like in that style. I've never used Melanoidin malt before but I feel like a lb might be a lot of it? I've also never used carastan either but I'm assuming between the crystal 60, melanoidin and carastan you're going to have a very sweet beer. Did you brew this already or were you planning to brew this soon?

I'm thinking about brewing it tomorrow. I like sweeter things so a really sweet hoppy beer would definitely not be the end of the world. I'll look into scaling the melanoidin down...

I haven't used 1lb of melanoidin, but I don't think it'll be too much. some do tho, so YMMV. I'd get rid of the belgian pale and just use 2lbs of golden promise, you won't be able to distinguish 1lb of either, and GP sounds like a better fit for what you want. also, I wouldnt worry about a high FG since you have 2lbs of sugar in there.

I know you said no altering the hops, but what about just limiting the varieties. as is, its just a muddled mess and you won't be able to pick out anything. plus its going to be extremely bitter.

Honestly, I say remove the sugar and go all malt. IMO, you WANT a high FG beer. I mean, you have 16 ounces of hops going into this 5 gallon batch! lol. You want at least a modicum of sweetness to balance out all that bitterness. Maybe remove the simple sugars and add a bunch of crystal malt.

Them's my $.02!

I'll take all the suggestions into account and then see what the Austin Homebrew guys think. I appreciate the help guys. I meant to brew this today but the day got away from me and my 8 mile run (I'm training for a marathon) ran late. As a result I had to go directly to AHS and didn't have my random recipe on me. Instead here is the IPA I made up on the spot and just brewed:

Partial Mash
White Labs 001

2.5 lbs Extra Pale LME
2.5 lbs Wheat LME
1 lb Munich malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
.8 oz Melanoidin

Between 145 & 160 for 45 min - (my electric stove top sucks donkey testicles)

@60 - 2oz Sorachi Ace + 22g Summit + 17g Horizon (aka leftovers)
@45 - 1oz Super Alpha
@30 - 1oz Centennial
@15 - 1oz Amarillo, 1oz Motueka
@5 - 1oz Motueka
DH - Not sure yet if any

Props and/or angry fist shaking at Travis at AHS who helped me throw this on the fly beer together. If anybody wants to try a bottle of this or encourage me to man up and make the original DIPA you can PM me your address and I'll send you a bottle or two. Minor shipping costs to reward good peeps is no thing to me. :)

If anybody wants to try a bottle of this or encourage me to man up and make the original DIPA you can PM me...

Encouragement!

Now, man up and make that randomly generated hoppy freakin beer! :rockin:
Honestly, though. The on-the-spot IPA you made looks pretty damn good! I'd never even heard of Motueka hops till this thread. I googled the description and they sound fantastic! With the rest of the hops bill (and maybe some Sorachi Ace dry hops?), I think you're going to have a helluva beer! I'd call it On The Spot NonStop Hop Slop!

Cheers!

Quick Pick DIPA
Partial mash - 5 gallon batch
White Labs 001

7lb Extra Pale LME
1lb Belgian Candi Sugar clear
1lb Agave nectar
1lb Golden promise
1lb Belgian Pale Ale Malt
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Melanoidin
.5 lb Carastan

@60 - 1.5oz Nugget & .5oz Sticklebract
Continuous 60 to 15 - 3oz Horizon, 1.5oz Warrior
@15 - 3oz Yakima, .5oz Kent Golding
@5 - 2.5oz Columbus, 1.5oz Galena
DH - 1.5oz Amarillo, .5 Northern Brewer

The timing, specific hops, & amounts of hops were all decided by random number generator. The base was just something I threw together based on what looked interesting that I've never used.

I'm comfortable with a high probability of utter almost undrinkable beer insanity and the code of random batching won't let me alter the hop schedule but I could definitely tweak any of the other ingredients. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I say go for it! Just make sure to let it age well before drinking!

Encouragement!

Now, man up and make that randomly generated hoppy freakin beer! :rockin:
Honestly, though. The on-the-spot IPA you made looks pretty damn good! I'd never even heard of Motueka hops till this thread. I googled the description and they sound fantastic! With the rest of the hops bill (and maybe some Sorachi Ace dry hops?), I think you're going to have a helluva beer! I'd call it On The Spot NonStop Hop Slop!

Cheers!

Thank you sir. Uggh, just realizing the hops alone are gonna cost me 40 bucks on that monster.

Dry hopping with Sorachi! That sounds great. Amarillo is usually my go to so maybe I'll use both. The aroma of the Motueka is very lemony/grassy. I think it'll be interesting. Hell, maybe I'll dry hop with all 3. :ban:

Quick update:

I just bottled (and drank a glass) of the 8 Mile IPA aka the beer I brewed instead of the random monster. OG was a little low from the start so 9 days in I added 1.5lb of Agave nectar. FG ended up 1.006.

I ended up dry hopping with 1oz Amarillo leaves, .8oz El Dorado leaves, 1oz Sorachi pellets, & 1oz Motueka pellets for 17 days. With 50 marbles in the hop bag cause I'm cool like that. For all those hops I'd advise double the marbles if you want the whole bag submerged.

The aroma was insanely nice. Crazy citrusy/lemony. (I'm considering making an El Dorado and or a Motueka SMaSH IPA now). I think it'll end up pretty good once it has a little time to mellow out in the bottles. It's coming at you a little straight outta Compton with bitter lemon-lime right now.

Latest posts

Back