Kitchen Sink recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

So, I do not currently really have the means to store much grain in my home (no basement, no garage), so I normally go recipe by recipe. However, I was meeting with a handful of people from my homebrew group at a brewfest where we were trying to promote homebrewing...long story short, I was given a handful of 4 different grains. We all agreed with a few hops I could do a reasonable kitchen sink recipe and I was just looking for opinions/advice/info

2lb 4oz Marris Otter
1lb 6oz Wheat Malt
1lb 2ox Pilsen
1lb 0oz Caramel 120L

So right off the bat I could choose to do a 3 gal batch with a SG around 1.055, or do a 5 gal batch and throw in some extract.

As far as hops go...what I have available to me is
Columbus (1lb)
Willamete (1lb)
Amarillo (1lb)
Warrior (maybe 1oz)
Simcoe (0.5oz)
also if I look hard there could be some centennial or chinook laying around.

As of right now I just through some in
Columbus 0.25oz 60min
Amarillo 0.25oz 10min
Simcoe 0.25oz 10min.
But literally, I just was like ok, why not...no real rhythm of rhyme, also I don't have a clue as to what yeast to use.

I currently have Wyeast 3638, but I also have bottles of Unibourne Ephemere, Trois Pistoles, and La Fin du Monde (which I think uses special yeast), along with Ommegang Whitte and Abbey ale, all of which are bottle conditioned and I could culture these up to use as well.

Oh yeah, I also have WLP001 I could culture form one of my homebrew bottles.

As always, thanks in advance for all the help.

A pound of 120l? With the MO, wheat and pils I'd probably just leave the 120l out altogether since it would really only be contributing to the color and flavor (making it pitch black and overwhelmingly malty/roasty/burnt). Just make a lighter wheat and keep the 120l on hand so that you have one less specialty grain to buy when you need it in the future.

Yeah, sorry I didn't explain well, I just meant that is what I have on hand and while I COULD just add everything, I probably wouldn't.
I know 1lb of 120 on such a small batch would be...extreme. I could most likely leave it out and if I did add any 120 it would be no more than 4oz.

any idea on the yeast or hop additions?

Latest posts

Back