LOW Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSterling

Reaction score
i brewed an IPA one month ago. when i bottled i used the carb drops and i have left them for a week. there is little carb. anything i can do?

Wait two more weeks MINIMUM....That's all you need to do.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Lower temperatures take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Read the above blog, and come back to the beer in a couple more weeks.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them ore time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

also my OG was only 1.011? that seems really low to me. my first OG was 1.027 that was right after the brewing before Ferm. then i took another reading after ferm. and it was 1.011. does that sound normal.

also my OG was only 1.011? that seems really low to me. my first OG was 1.027 that was right after the brewing before Ferm. then i took another reading after ferm. and it was 1.011. does that sound normal.
The reading you take after fermentation is not called the OG, it is referred to as the FG (final gravity). Yeah, 1.011 is completely normal for an FG reading.

An OG of 1.027 is very low though. If this was a partial boil (you topped off with water) then it is understandable why the reading is so low. However it doesn't represent what the actual OG of your wort was before fermentation.

Back