Attn: Lads: Are Yez Ready Fer Gubmint's 145% Beer Tax Hike?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnyg

Reaction score
Attn: Lads: Are Yez Ready Fer Gubmint's 145% Beer Tax Hike?????

Congressional BID FOR 145% BEER-TAX HIKE
May 22, 2009

Congressional BID FOR 145% BEER-TAX HIKE
NY Post ^ | May 21, 2009 | staff writer

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 9:48:44 AM by yankeedame
BID FOR 145% BEER-TAX HIKE

WASHINGTON — Drunk on power and dazed by ambition, members of Congress have stumbled upon a novel way to keep their spending binge rolling — and leave American taxpayers with the hangover.

Under a Senate proposal, Congress would raise the federal excise tax on beer by 145 percent to more than $3 a case.

Uncle Sam also would snatch an additional $7 on a case of wine — a staggering increase of 233 percent and an additional 20 percent on hard liquor sales.

Read the rest of this entry »
http://gunnyg.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/congressional-bid-for-145-beer-tax-hike/

They came for the SUVs....
They came for the PU Trucks...
They will come for the homebrewers too....

The back of my condo backyard is adjacent to a citrus grove--every time I've seen the da truck cruise up the dirt road I notice he slows way down and gives my bines a good once over....?????

I wish they would just go back to running up a huge debt and not taxing us to pay for it-that worked so well in the past.

Just as this makes the hop shortage appear trivial, the coming changes will make a 20$ beer look like a real bargain!
Just Watch!

2lavxhe.gif

Viva La Revolucion! It's about time we get our voices heard... This is madness! The government is taking from us (low paid citizens) in the form of ridiculous taxes and giving it back to large corporations. As a 25 year old with a new house and tons of student loans, I severly hate the fact that Uncle Sam has already "stolen" over $15,000 from me this year alone. Really? Just another reason for us to homebrew.

Don't worry.. they're only going to increase taxes for the top 5% :rolleyes:

1) Did anybody notice that this dude linked and quoted from his own blog post?
2) I refuse to take anybody seriously if they use the term "gubbmit" or the likes.

1) Did anybody notice that this dude linked and quoted from his own blog post?
2) I refuse to take anybody seriously if they use the term "gubbmit" or the likes.

I know several states like Cali are looking at increasing the beer tax that the state charges. Some links below are maybe some of the news stories the person read.

Action Alert - Federal Excise Tax on Beer Could Triple - BeerAdvocate

Congress Wants 145% Beer-Tax Hike - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

eGov monitor - A Policy Dialogue Platform | Promoting Better Governance

Also in his blog entry he references the site he got it from: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2256238/posts

maybe they should tax cig's more.. yeah .. i dont smoke... TAX CIG's!!! :p

haha some states already have (see the egov article)

“Sin” taxes: Arkansas, Kentucky and Rhode Island increased their cigarette taxes by 56 cents, 30 cents and $1 a pack, respectively. Both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature approved an increase but at different levels, so lawmakers there will take it up when they reconvene in May or June. Tobacco tax proposals fell in Georgia, Utah and Wyoming, but are still pending in at least 15 other states. New York raised its tax on beer and wine, and Kentucky ended its tax exemption of alcoholic beverages. Higher alcohol taxes are on the table in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina and Oregon.

Back