Marzen still fermenting after a month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatwhite4

Reaction score
I way under pitched a Marzen and had slow start for fermentation, actually had to raise them temp to get it to kick off. Its been sitting for about a month since then, just did a 48 hours diacetyl rest, was going to transfer to a secondary today but checked SG first and it was still 1.026. Should i wait longer? Its still at 60f or so but dont want to leave it long at that. I plan on a long lagering period so i'm hoping final SG will be within range but dont want to take it off the yeast to soon.

I way under pitched a Marzen and had slow start for fermentation, actually had to raise them temp to get it to kick off. Its been sitting for about a month since then, just did a 48 hours diacetyl rest, was going to transfer to a secondary today but checked SG first and it was still 1.026. Should i wait longer? Its still at 60f or so but dont want to leave it long at that. I plan on a long lagering period so i'm hoping final SG will be within range but dont want to take it off the yeast to soon.

You definitely want to wait until the beer is at FG before racking and/or lagering. I'd keep it where it is until it's finished, and the SG is the same for at least three days.

WLP820, started at 54f but after 3 days of no activity raised to 60f for a few days then dropped back to 54f. OG was 1.05. Theres still some activity, bubble every min or so I would guess. Just didn't know if I should leave it at 60f until I hit FG or to drop back down to 54f.

Back