naturally carb a partial keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I recently bottled a 12 pk and kegged the rest, about 4 gallons primed with enough sugar for 2.5 vols. Will the extra headspace cause any problems? It will be another week or two before I tap, just wondering what I might expect.

Thanks

yeah, the extra head space means that moer of the gas will be able to come out of the beer as the priming sugar ferments. The beer will not be as carbed as you were shooting for. You can probably blast the thing with 30psi from your tank to ensure that priming sugar CO2 stays in the beer.

yea, if you precharge the headspace with 10-20 psi, then all the priming sugar will make carbonation for the beer. if the headspace isnt pressurized, most of the CO2 from the sugar will go twoards filling that instead of carbonating.

That's kinda what I figured. I did use about 20 psi to seat the seals. Anyway, after I chill it I'll purge the headspace, hook up the bottle and let it rest a couple days @ 12psi and go from there.

Thanks guys!

Back