Classic Liquors Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's how I read it but there was nothing special about making the base alcohol for the Classic kit.

Sugar (4 Cups), Super Yeast and "Yeast Booster" tah, dah.

oh ok so none of the actual flavors are fermented. Instead, you ferment the base alcohol and then add flavoring... Can't say there's anything fun about that!

I've been doing some research, and I found out even a lot of the big liqueur makers (hiram walker) just ship in neutral spirits and all they do is mix them with flavors on site. Who would've thought?

Hi All,

I'm wanting to make my own liquors for x-mas, and am going to buy one of those 20% super yeast kits to make the alcohol base for the liquors, but it says they must be filtered through a charcoal filter before consuming to remove "impurities".

The local wine making dealer sells the flat charcoal filters and the loose charcoal granules, but no filter housings or anything, so I'm wondering exactly how to accomplish the act of filtering this alcohol base.

Is it as simple as simply running the alcohol base through loose charcoal granules? If so, how many times, just one pass through the charcoal?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris ;)

midwest supplies has a good carbon filter made especially for liquor quick. CarbonSnake Filter System - Liqueurs - Other.
I use it for (purchased) distilled spirits, and it works great. I just hooks right into your bottling bucket. Cheap too. Remember, you can always just use the good ol brita pitcher too! its the exact same technology. I suggest you use a separate fillter for alcohol if you do that though.

Yes, and this does just run it through seni-compacted loose carbon granuals.

Oh, and i typically only do 1-2 passes

midwest supplies has a good carbon filter made especially for liquor quick. CarbonSnake Filter System - Liqueurs - Other.
I use it for (purchased) distilled spirits, and it works great. I just hooks right into your bottling bucket. Cheap too. Remember, you can always just use the good ol brita pitcher too! its the exact same technology. I suggest you use a separate fillter for alcohol if you do that though.

Yes, and this does just run it through seni-compacted loose carbon granuals.

Oh, and i typically only do 1-2 passes

I've been struggling with trying to filter this stuff to a clear state, without much luck.

When I tried just pouring it through a handheld filter it took forever, so I just dumped the charcoal in and stirred it around, then let it settle overnight, and racked it into a glass carboy.

I let it settle for a further 2 days, then filtered it through a new brita filter, which actually made it worse!

Those things are crap, if they can't even filter out visible carbon particles, I certainly won't trust my drinking water to them!

After 4 passes and many many hours later of filtering through the brita, I gave up, and spent the 20 bucks to buy the filter snake hose, and tried that, and it did clear up a bit, but what I noticed was that the simple paper coffee filter in it seemed to be doing all the work.

I then put it through a few more passes through a stack of coffee filters, and it did clear up significantly, but it's still noticeably "grey" in color.

I decided good enough, and the carbon wouldn't kill me if I consumed it...lol.

The stuff still has a nasty "white glue" smell to it, and a nasty taste, so I emailed the manufacturer to ask their opinion.

Here is what they wrote in response to my inquiry:

All brands of commercial distillers yeast, whether ours or other brands, home use or industrial use, produce a slightly yeasty (and I suppose for lack of a better word, a faintly "gluey" odour right after fermentation. The gluey odour is less obvious the drier it is fermented. Fining and charcoal filtering will remove most but not all of this odour. If you are making liqueurs or adding to the alcobase to a punch, any residual off odour is typically masked by the addition of the flavorings and sweetening sugar. Sorry, but that is the limitation of fermenting distillers yeast. If you want to make a very clean, higher alcohol alcobase (i.e. to make rums, whiskies, etc), you have to further distill it.

Sincerely,
Michael Oxner
Sales Manager

So, I guess it is what it is, I didn't expect to get vodka, but I expected it to be a wee bit cleaner than it is, and I'm not gonna break the law by further distilling it...lol.

The irish cream liquid flavoring does not mask the yucky flavor very much either.

hmmm...what to do next?

I have used several of their kits (got them at half price from a HBS that was discontinuing them0. Results were drinkable but not spectacular. You can use Everclear for the alcohol but that's rather pricey.

What I did: I threw some very finely powdered charcoal into the fermenting alcohol- available from health food stores, got mine thru eBAY. Filtered the alcohol with coffee filters. Removed some carbon but not all.. I then distilled the 20% alcohol which removed any remaining taste and odor.. If the alcohol level was too strong I watered it down and then added the flavoring. Some of the liquors should sit some weeks so everything blends nicely.

Has anybody tried using these flavors on beer?

Back