GFI. how important is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
How important is a GFI when using a pump?

I am about to buy a pump and it says its important but are they just trying to sell more crap?

Liquid and electricity don't mix well. GFI is very important. A kettle could tip, a hose could crack, melt, or slip off or out of something. It's not worth taking the chance.

I would say anytime you're working with electricity and liquid, I would make sure you have some contingency plan for an accident. When we bought our house a few years ago, it wouldn't pass inspection because there was an outlet less than 6 feet away from the sink that wasn't a GFCI outlet. Wherever you're working, I would make sure you had one for your pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Very important. You can buy a GFI outlet adapter.
gfci.jpg

Thanks liquid. It looks alot better if i spend the money at HD cuz that is for the home, not the hobby :). Normally the spending is a non issue, but i have dropped a load of cash on brewing lately. (700 last week)

Thanks liquid. It looks alot better if i spend the money at HD cuz that is for the home, not the hobby :). Normally the spending is a non issue, but i have dropped a load of cash on brewing lately. (700 last week)

musta been that stimuli check!

whats the difference between this and a surge protector.. ?

A surge protector protects against spike in power supply from damaging things plugged into them. A GFCI protects against current leakage. If your electronics get wet, current can flow through the water to anything standing in the water (ie. You!). It basically makes sure you won't get electrocuted and kill yourself.

But I've heard that if you get shocked in the water, you'll gain tremendous powers into the female psyche.

If you're using a garage, kitchen, or outdoor outlet, there's a good chance that it's GFCI protected already. If you're unsure, an adapter is cheap insurance.

If you're using a garage, kitchen, or outdoor outlet, there's a good chance that it's GFCI protected already. If you're unsure, an adapter is cheap insurance.

Isn't a good way to tell the red/black reset/test buttons on the outlet? Are there GFCI/GFI outlets that do not have these?

Isn't a good way to tell the red/black reset/test buttons on the outlet? Are there GFCI/GFI outlets that do not have these?

Yes. a GFCI outlet can protect several standard outlets when wired correctly. Also sometimes a GFCI circuit breaker is used right in the panel box. The easiest way to test if you don't know for sure is to get a GFCI receptacle tester from the hardware store (cost about $7-10). You just plug it in, press the little button, and if it still has power, it is not GFCI protected.

I think that i have a gfci outlet in my garage already.. i looked this morning..

it has the test and reset buttons on it.. i have a pic if that helps.. would love to know if i already have one..

Also For a GFI to be effective it needs to be the first outlet on your entire rig, So you will basicly have your plug -> GFI -> Other electric equipment. Dont forget to hookup the green ground wires as well, or the GFI wont work correctly.

The GFI will basicly trip when too much current is being drawn by a circut, like a breaker, only faster. $14 is a good price, And i wouldnt short on this... (Sorry for the pun..)

. Dont forget to hookup the green ground wires as well, or the GFI wont work correctly.

Incorrect. That's a commonly held myth. A GFCI will work just fine without a ground wire attached.

The GFI will basicly trip when too much current is being drawn by a circut, like a breaker, only faster.

Also incorrect. The GFCI will trip if there is a difference in current between the hot and neutral. An overload has nothing to do with it.

A GFCI is a module that compares the current on the live and neutral lines and ensures that their sum is approximately zero. If there is any leakage current to ground greater than 5ma the GFCI will break the circuit in less than 25ms. This is accomplished using a spring loaded circuit that will pop the contacts apart extremely fast. So in theory, you should receive a painful kick in the ass but still be alive to tell others. In other words, $10 = not instant death.

That would only indicate that that particular outlet is GFCI protected (and it's even possible then that it isn't wired correctly, leaving it unprotected). Depending on how your circuit is wired all outlets "downstream" of that one may or may not be protected as well. The best way to tell is to hit the test button and see which other, if any, outlets go dead.

Some homes may also have a GFCI breaker in their breaker box which would protect the entire circuit, but you would not see an outlet with the test/reset buttons as they would be on the breaker.

If it's an older home you most likely won't have GFCI circuits anywhere unless someone updated things.

EDIT: Of course others have already said this, but since I'm obviously reading challenged I missed the next page.

Back