sour grape wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
One of my co-workers has some white grape wine in bottles. She says its sour. Not knowing much, I've told her to let it age. She admits she tasted it before aging.
So what causes sour wine?
(Now for the rest of her story... She planted the vines and has waited FIVE years for them to produce grapes. THAT is hardcore in my book.)

Guess it depends on alot of things, what type of grapes, how old is the wine, ph, TA, wine making procedure. What type of sour are we talking about? She waited 5 years, but were the vines pruned and trained well? I've never grown grapes at all, but I've seen discussion about how overcropping can have a big affect on the wine.

From what I know, the vines were well taken care of and pruned and trained properly. Don't know about anything else, its not my wine... Just curious what any obvious reasons are? I know she has asked me about vinegar production but she only left them on the must for 5 days.

is it sour or vinegar how much sugar did she use lots of questions about this

Back