East coast vs West coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopLife

Reaction score
I am from Oregon. I was pretty confident we were winning the beer battle because of the great quantity and quality of craft brews in my neck of the woods.

However, I am in NC right now and I can find some pretty awesome brews here in the grocery store...much different than 5 years ago!

I have found some great beers that are rare on our side. Bell's two hearted ale, Dogfish 60 minute, and Hopsecutioner. Needless to say these are great beers, and would do very well in the major west coast markets.

Soooo. To those who have tried many east and west coast brews. Where do you stand. Is the East or the West leading the way.

I still lean left, but gotta say my only real logical criteria is the low cost of quality left coast brews, like Bridgeport hop Czar and SN Torpedo.

What do you think?

Well, I have only spent maybe 3 months total in CA, and the rest of my life on the east coast, I sure did try a lot of beers in Cali.

I will say that East coast is better by far. I just don't like the sissy girly craft beers made on the west coast.

It's like that classic song says "spend a year in NYC, but leave before it makes you hard. spend a year in California, but leave before it makes you soft"

Well, I have only spent maybe 3 months total in CA, and the rest of my life on the east coast, I sure did try a lot of beers in Cali.

I will say that East coast is better by far. I just don't like the sissy girly craft beers made on the west coast.

It's like that classic song says "spend a year in NYC, but leave before it makes you hard. spend a year in California, but leave before it makes you soft"

I tried not to be controversial in my original post...this is. You do know that women brew and drink beer right. In fact women are half of the population on the west coast.

Any suggestions of a beer he could try that wouldn't make him feel so effiminate?

Every region and every state has some breweries producing phenomenal beer. For every Ommegang and Dogfish Head there's a Highland, a Sweetwater, and a Stone.

Some areas are struggling more than others (Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, for instance), but there's always potential for improvement in each state.

This type of discussion reminds me of all the arguments over which country makes better beer.

I tried not to be controversial in my original post...this is. You do know that women brew and drink beer right. In fact women are half of the population on the west coast.

Any suggestions of a beer he could try that wouldn't make him feel so effiminate?

well, wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to represent my east coast hommies!

3 out of the 4 football teams left are east coast. the west coast team, the 49r's are based in San Fran. I sent a few weeks in San Fran. My friends who lived there loved Steam Ale. I couldn't see it. I would rather have a boston Ale. But then, thankfully, the San Fran bars always seemed to have Boston ale on tap.

Last year, saw Steam ale in the store, and grabbed a six pack. Still don't like it. Different tastes for different coasts, I suppose.

I will say, Midwest has some great beers. Minnesota and the Twin cities have some great craft brews.

I've lived in NY for several years but Seattle has always been my home. IMO the West is best.

This type of discussion reminds me of all the arguments over which country makes better beer.

Hmmm.... USA USA USA! Germans, belgians, and english can keep their beer. Although, I haven't found a good american lambic yet. Maybe we don't have enough monks.

Lets keep this discussion fun!

well, wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to represent my east coast hommies!

3 out of the 4 football teams left are east coast. the west coast team, the 49r's are based in San Fran. I sent a few weeks in San Fran. My friends who lived there loved Steam Ale. I couldn't see it. I would rather have a boston Ale. But then, thankfully, the San Fran bars always seemed to have Boston ale on tap.

Last year, saw Steam ale in the store, and grabbed a six pack. Still don't like it. Different tastes for different coasts, I suppose.

I will say, Midwest has some great beers. Minnesota and the Twin cities have some great craft brews.

So you're judging West Coast beers based off of one beer? Ok, so I've had Boston Lager. Thought it was pretty bad. By that argument, I can claim that Northeastern beers are all pretty bad. But of course, I do know better and some of my favorite beers are from the Northeast, just like some are from Oregon, others from Texas, etc.

And repping your bros in the NFL playoffs? Here's a better stat: 6 consecutive BCS Titles. SEC! SEC! SEC!

So you're judging West Coast beers based off of one beer? Ok, so I've had Boston Lager. Thought it was pretty bad. By that argument, I can claim that Northeastern beers are all pretty bad. But of course, I do know better and some of my favorite beers are from the Northeast, just like some are from Oregon, others from Texas, etc.

And repping your bros in the NFL playoffs? Here's a better stat: 6 consecutive BCS Titles. SEC! SEC! SEC!

It's a good point. You don't like Boston Ale.

I suspect, and this is without any science to back it up, just emperical observations, that tastes in beer around the country are affected by climate. I was making a generalization that West Coast beers tend to be light and fruity. East coast beers tend to be dark and thicker. I think much like wine, beer is a regional product.

Ultimately, drink what you like. jeez.

And the BCS is a joke. But that is off topic.

As a person who lives in one of the most frustrating beer areas in America (oklahoma), I thought I could weigh in on this subject from a very non-biased perspective. My personal opinion/observation is that the west cost has a severe hop obsession that ruins a lot of beer. Beers from the east coast or anywhere outside of the west coast, seem to be more balanced and have a specific style that they are going for other than hoppy. I know these are pretty generalized statements, but it seems like everytime I buy a beer and it is from California, Oregon, or Washington, it is too hoppy for the style and it drives me crazy.

To me it is like when a chef has to make everything spicy because they like spicy foods and to them hotter is better. This is not always a good rule and it seems to be the rule for most west coast brewers and their hops.

IMHO the best place for craft beer is Colorado. This may be a little biased since it is close to OK, but we can't even get some of the best Colorado brews because of our completely worthless and outdated liquor laws. Outside of there I would generally say east coast, but I sadly only get a lot of east coast beers when I am on vacation.

Either way, that's my 2 cents.

Considering there's 100 craft breweries in the state of michigan alone, I say midwest represent!!!! :)

+1. I like beers from literally everywhere, but I have some midwest pride. Bell's, Three Floyds, Upland, and plenty more, what else do ya need? ;)

the nice thing about brewing is that you can make good beer anywhere. unlike wine where it apparently has something to do with grapes and hillsides or some such crap.

I know the west coast has had the reputation for american style ales for a while, but I see a lot of really great new stuff from NY and PA all the time out here. NJ is struggling a bit but we're starting to come along too.

Considering there's 100 craft breweries in the state of michigan alone, I say midwest represent!!!! :)
Hahahahahaha...looks like you beat me to it. Michigan baby, the great beer state...its the only industry left so we
Gotta get it right...northpeak sucks though

File:Craft Breweries Per Capita (US).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out this map...doesn't say much about quality but surely an interesting graphic. Shows the US with craft breweries per capita...Oregon represent!

Oh yeah...did I mention Oregon State University has the premiere hop breeding program in the country. Look into it, just so happens that is why so many great hop varieties are named after Oregon landmarks.

You can also get a degree in fermentation science at OSU. Just a couple more random things to try and bias the debate.

This is such a stupid, and never-ending argument. There's absolutely no objective basis for comparison. In my opinion, you can have a brewery on every corner, but if they are pumping out over-hopped, higher alcohol beers, I'd be looking for Sam Adams in the supermarkets. So since my taste pretty much eliminates the entire West Coast from consideration, why would my opinion on other regions be more objective?

I don't think Hoplife meant this to offend anyone, I think this is a pretty good thread. Just good natured pride/ribbing about different areas. I think we got it all in the States, we're truly in a beer rennaissance going on and it's cool to celebrate. And maybe trash talk a little about other areas. I don't think this thread was meant to be taken too serious, and even if some dissing is going on I think it's meant to be no more inflamatory then any football or hockey thread on here.

Stupid? I have already learned of about 5 breweries I had no previous knowledge of. Have you tried Oakshire? Laurelwood? Rogue? Morimoto? Boneyard?

I haven't tried several of the Michigan beers mentioned in the previous posts. Now I know where to start looking when I go to my bottle market.

If you don't like discussion just read the WIKI instead.

I vote Europe.

LOL...even folks in Europe mention some places, Germany especially are mired in old ways of thinking, and a lack of adventure.

You should check this article from Slate on the state of brewing in Germany.

I thought it was going to get into how American BMC envy had cut into the regional marketplace, like it is in places like Ireland, choking away great traditional beers in favor of being like the Americans.

I was surprised to see how much it's own Reinheitsgebot has choked off much of the innovation and creativity, while we in America are truly becomming the beer mecca of both innovation and honoring an maintaining more traditional german styles.

It seems that if the trend continues in Germany, it will be the American craft and home breweing which may be keeping these styles alive over here, while they dissapear in their home country.

But at the same time, if the Reinheitsgebot starts to loose favor over there, and some of the trad styles fall by the wayside, we could see a whole slew of innovation coming from over there, as those brewers have the creative shackles removed and are allowed to go crazy...hopefully they won't be making just american style over the top IPAs and stuff like that, but will evolve some of their traditional beers with non Reinheitsgebot approved ingredients. You could be getting creative even with standard trad styles like Bocks....you could get fruit bocks or spice bocks, or even I guess hoppy bocks even.

And then after a period of time of going crazy with experimentation there will be a backswing to and an interest in the trad styles again.....then there will be a balance like there is here in the US theses day.

Stupid? I have already learned of about 5 breweries I had no previous knowledge of.

You jumped down the throat of the first guy who started ribbing... now I'm confused. Were you looking for a serious discussion or not? If you were looking for a serious discussion, then yes, my comment stands: you're not going to get one because there's no objective comparison. You're going to get a thousand different subjective and "controversial" replies. If you've cool with what this (and every other related thread) has become, then why do you care if I call it a stupid argument (and why complain when someone posts something "controversial")?

Midwest easy.

I won't lie and say that I don't have an urge to go out to the PNW and the East Coast and try beer in some of their brewpubs though.

As an aside, I do like Boston Lager AND Anchor Steam. Just need to get some PLINY now.

No.

But it may prove fruitful. We are all mature enough to know there is no holy grail or beer. This forum offers an opportunity to point out unique contributions or insight about your regional area, without being boring. Besides threads that don't have room for some controversy don't create many opinions or posts.

Did I mention that my local bottle shop carries over 3000 different beers.

Are there many bottleshops in other areas that attempt to have such variety?

Midwest easy.

As an aside, I do like Boston Lager AND Anchor Steam. Just need to get some PLINY now.

Midwest is getting good representation.

My local store sells 'Pliny' by request only. When I asked why it didn't go in the normal coolers, she said it would start a riot.

Yes, there's quite a few in metro detroit that I frequent that have thousands craft beer's to choose from. And many many many that have a few hundred. Heck we complain that the Citgo Gas Station ONLY has FIVE doors of Craft Beer in it. ;)

From the previous issue of Michigan Beer Guide.

Gas And Beer At CITGO
-Rex Halfpenny

This unusual entry into the journals of Michigan Beer Guide began with an enthusiastic phone call we received. The caller was Ben Sandiha and he wanted Michigan Beer Guide to come down and check out his beer inventory. Our office receives more and more calls like this, often prompted by a reader visiting a well-stocked beer store or one of our distributor advertisers suggesting that the retailer get on the better beer radar by advertising in or at least carrying Michigan Beer Guide. So this call was not unusual, except for the fact that this venue was a gas station. When Ben invited us to visit his CITGO gas station in Clawson because he had a good beer inventory, that got our attention.

Gas and go is my usual routine. I rarely go inside unless I am on the road and need to pee. Even then it is not in my habit to shop, like I said, pay at the pump, gas and go. I mean really, what kind of beer do you find in a gas station? We had to find out. So we made an appointment to see Ben and talk about beer. It was a fun stop.

The first thing I did on our arrival at the corner of Rochester Road and 14 Mile was take a couple photos. Nothing-new here. A gas station, with a convenience store, and a Tubby’s. We walked in and guess what? It looked like every other gas station C-store.Cash register at the door, backed by cigarettes and lottery tickets, stocked to the brim with impulse purchase offerings and isles of the usual snacks, candies, and everyday merchandise so often sold as loss leaders by the major supermarket chains.

Behind the register were Ben and one of his employees. But before I sat down I went over to the wall of cooler doors. This is what I found: 25 cooler doors of which 2 were dairy, 6 miscellaneous beverages, 1 bottled water, 3 soda pop, 2 energy drinks, 4 mass market beers, 2 mixed and odd sizes and 5 doors dedicated to craft beer. Now put that way it sure does not sound all that exciting, but remember, this is a gas station and when was the last time you saw 5 doors of craft beer in a gas station, anywhere, let alone Michigan.

The next thing we did was count Michigan breweries, eighteen. There was definitely beer here that I would buy so I made the following quick short list: Bell’s Two Hearted, Shorts Huma Lupa Licious, Arcadia Whitsun, Dragonmead Final Absolution, Founders Dirty Bastard, New Holland Golden Cap, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Flying Dog Raging *****, Pauliner Salvator, and Unibroue La Fin Du Monde. And I have to add that there was a pretty varied selection of wines as well. At a gas station!

After viewing the beer selection we sat down with Ben next in the Tubby’s section in the back of the store to get his story. The first thing he asked was “What do you think about my beer selection?” At the risk of hurting his feelings, I said I expected more. From my perspective, five cooler doors of craft and imported beer out of 25 cooler doors are not that impressive. Ben was hurt, though more theatrical then reality. I explained that places with great beer selections, including the places advertising in Michigan Beer Guide have 400- 600 or more different beers. But that said, without a doubt, his was the best-stocked gas station or convenience store that I had ever visited in terms of high-end beer selection.

I recall when less than 10 years ago I could not get a c-store to even recognize Michigan had breweries. While I am sure today there are others out there with some craft beer in stock, I see Ben’s CITGO outlet as yet another sign of the times, times when craft beer, and specifically Michigan beer, can no longer be ignored. To ignore craft beer today is to ignore the rising demand for products that have a higher margin and thus greater profitability to the retailer. And what retailer does not want to make more money?

Ben is a young man who has seen craft beer in the marketplace all his life. It was not that long ago that most distributors would not even carry craft beer while today distributors are competing to carry them. But it still requires an owner to see the value and make the room to offer beer that is not supported by national advertising campaigns. Unfortunately, most still do not.

I asked Ben what he liked to drink and his answer surprised me, “Everything but motor oil.” At the time he was drinking a Nantucket Red Plum Nectar. He invited us to try anything we might desire from the cooler. I scanned the cooler of beverages and after a couple minutes selected another flavor of Nantucket juice (Orange Mango), noting that it was all natural fruit flavor with no HFCS or chemical additives. Using my experience as an example Ben said, “Everyone is different, so we have a wide a varied selection and we are family orientated. People come into our store but do not know what they want, they want something, they look, they find, and they buy.”

To that end the whole store was neat, bright, well stocked but not cramped. If you look around you will also notice Ben (on right in photo above) is a huge Detroit Lions fan, as also evidenced by his attire and décor .

Ben got into the business eight years ago when the existing Clark gas station went up for auction. His family put in a sealed bid and won the property. So dad officially owns the store, but Ben and his brothers run the operation. The original store was small, only a thousand square feet, so the family built it out and added the one stop shop. Today there are three Separate businesses run from the store, a gas station, a convenience store and a Tubby’s.

“We wanted to serve the community and needed all of this to do so. We love the community and we love our customers and neighbors,” said Ben with his ever-present infectious smile.

The Clawson CITGO today sells more craft beer than any other party store in the area except Red Wagon. “The others kill me on mass-market beer,” Ben added. By the way, all the craft and imported beer is kept in the cooler, only the mass-markets are on the floor.

They are located at 24 N Rochester Rd., Clawson, MI 48017-1742. (248) 733-1600

:mug:

Sadly, Virginia (south of the DC metro area, at least) has to be near the bottom of the slate :(. The selection here has gotten better in a few stores, but it's rare for me to see a beer I've not had, let alone not heard of. * sigh*

@ Revvy: Beer selection at a gas station...that is awesome. I normally have only about 10 microbrews to choose from at best when I fill er up. I used to think that was pretty good...Until now.

Yes, there's quite a few in metro detroit that I frequent that have thousands craft beer's to choose from. And many many many that have a few hundred. Heck we complain that the Citgo Gas Station ONLY has FIVE doors of Craft Beer in it. ;)

I've started to see a few regionals and micros at the local Sheetz of all places. On the cheap too :)

Was going to be an ass and hop on the East Coast train...until I realized some of my favorites are from California.

Damned bi-coastal rivalry!

As a west coast transplant to the east coast, I'm biased to my roots out west. Plus I have to give a slight edge to the Pacific Northwest since they grow the majority of the country's hops.

Don't forget the wonderful coffee on every corner to tame the effects of all the great beer consumed the night before - I'm convinced the NW coffee culture was born to offset the beer cultures indulgences....

Some areas are struggling more than others (Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, for instance), but there's always potential for improvement in each state.

You'd be surprised! I think Alabama currently has six craft breweries with another opening up in Birmingham soon. Our breweries don't typically have broad distribution, but they produce some pretty top-notch beers! I'd put most of Good People's beers against any other example of the style.

This forum offers an opportunity to point out unique contributions or insight about your regional area, without being boring. Besides threads that don't have room for some controversy don't create many opinions or posts.

Than I misinterpreted, sorry. I was confused by your response when the first "controversial" comment appeared.

300? Any place around here with 300 beers isn't even worth checking out.

This place is on my way home (unfortunately for my wallet...):

The Amazing Beer Selection at Eagle Provisions in South Slope | Serious Eats : New York

Latest posts

Back