Extract Beer Kit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMike

Reaction score
Good morning All:

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I have a concerns about an extract kit that I received as a gift. It's a Muntons Old Ale. Muntons | Home Beer Making

I've seen them before, but never used them. It appears to be a little over 1.5 gallon kit.

I'm guessing that my 6.5 gallon fermenter ale pail would be too big for this batch. Would my 2.5 gallon Mr. Beer keg be ok?

Thanks for any help.

Muntons kits make between 20 and 23 liters, depending on the style. Your pail will be fine and your Mr. Beer keg would be way too small.

Remember, you will need additional fermentables. 1 kg of LME would probably be best.

Muntons kits make between 20 and 23 liters, depending on the style. Your pail will be fine and your Mr. Beer keg would be way too small.

Remember, you will need additional fermentables. 1 kg of LME would probably be best.

Thanks. I'll have to check it when I get home. I could have sworn it said it makes 6 1/4 liters.

Found this description for it:

Muntons Premium Range Old Ale
Rich and warming with an unmistakable "aged" flavor this beer should ideally be served in nips. Muntons premium range uses only the finest ingredients in perfectly balanced formulations designed to brew truly unique beers. This kit will make 2.5 gallons on its own or add 2.2 Lbs. Dextrose or 2.2 Lbs. Dry Malt Extract to make a 5 gallon batch.

Found this description for it:

Muntons Premium Range Old Ale
Rich and warming with an unmistakable "aged" flavor this beer should ideally be served in nips. Muntons premium range uses only the finest ingredients in perfectly balanced formulations designed to brew truly unique beers. This kit will make 2.5 gallons on its own or add 2.2 Lbs. Dextrose or 2.2 Lbs. Dry Malt Extract to make a 5 gallon batch.

Very good, thank you. I'm thinking on doing the smaller batch with this one and saving the Ale Pail for the Coopers English Bitter kit I also got. These will be the first brews in my fermentation chamber. :rockin:

I've fermented 2 1/2 gallon batches in my 6 1/2 gallon ale pale and they have turned out just fine. Once the wort starts fermenting there will be a layer of CO2 that will build up from the bottom being heavier than air and will push the air out the airlock.

Upon further review, ia appears that this Old Ale style does make a smaller batch. The instructions inside the cap says "Old Ale kits brew less then 23 liters. For Old Ale, we recommend you brew strictly according to the instructions on the can label". So I guess I'm back to the original plan. Thanks for all the help.

Back