Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
OK, another question, what size copper tubing would you all use for the chiller, I think I can get my hands on some 3/4 inch tubing, would that be too big, or should I get 1/2 inch? If 3/4 would be better Im gonna make a pre chiller too, say 50 feet for the chiller and 50 feet for the pre chiller, sound fine? And of course all replies are welcomed. I have my 2 keggles converted, my Mash Tun cooler per Flyguy, and getting ready to build my stand, Im stoked already :)

From what I know, bigger is better. The larger diameter tubing will have more surface contact with the hot wort, which will cause faster cooling. Typical chiller sizes are 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch. If you are lucky enough to get the 3/4 at a reasonable price, go for it. With the high prices of copper, a 25' section of 1/2 will cost over 100 bones at home depot.

I use 50' of 3/8" copper myself for my 10 gallon batches, but I'm blessed with water just over 40 degrees year round. I haven't timed the cooling, but it can't be more than 10 minutes.

Might be kind of hard to bend 3/4" without kinking. Do you have a bender?

Good point Fingers, it would be a PITA to bend that without the right equipment.

I have a 3/8" IC chiller that I recently upgraded to 1/2" x 50 ft for 10 gal batches, at the recommendation of a lot of sources. 3/4" might do even better, but I think increasing the tubing size follows the law of diminishing returns. Basically, the tubing comes into more contact with the wort as it gets bigger, but into less contact with the tap water. So I am not sure how much better at cooling it would be.

Further, I am guessing it will be a lot more expensive, so if 1/2" will do, it might not be worth the extra cost.

Can you coil 3/4" easy? Just curious.

Mind you, the bragging factor on a monster chiller like that would be huge! :)

True on the brag factor!:mug: You'll be fine with 1/2" though. Just make sure you whirlpool, and perhaps recirc ice water with a pump.

ScubaSteve said:
True on the brag factor!:mug: You'll be fine with 1/2" though. Just make sure you whirlpool, and perhaps recirc ice water with a pump.
Yeah, use a pump and ice water instead of a prechiler. You will like the results.

Well, the 3/4 inch tubing will be free, I dont know if he uses 1/2 inch, but he might, the 3/4 inch he uses is already coiled, but not small enough to fit in the keggle, which brings up the question you all mentioned about the bending issues, Im sure i can bend it to coil, butn the bend coming from the bottom might get hairy, Ill see if he can get the 1/2 inch and just get a pump to recirculate the water, what does a pump like that cost and the name of it? As always thank you for the suggestions and replies.

jagg said:
Well, the 3/4 inch tubing will be free, I dont know if he uses 1/2 inch, but he might, the 3/4 inch he uses is already coiled, but not small enough to fit in the keggle, which brings up the question you all mentioned about the bending issues, Im sure i can bend it to coil, butn the bend coming from the bottom might get hairy, Ill see if he can get the 1/2 inch and just get a pump to recirculate the water, what does a pump like that cost and the name of it? As always thank you for the suggestions and replies.

Whoa! what a fantastic sweet deal you've got going. For the bottom bend you could use 2 elbows sweated on with no lead solder. Man! Good luck on your project. I've got a 1/2 in id 50 foot cooler, but a 50 ft 3/4... dude! :)

That is a great idea oldfarmer, hadn't thought of using elbows to make the vertical, thanks for the idea, Ill think it over and get back, thanks to the rest of you too.

Latest posts

Back