When is it safe to rack wort? Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I finished brewing a big ol' batch of belgian wit, but I tried a new technique to cool it off using frozen gallons of ice, and I ran out of room in my brew pot. I have no cooling tube or anything. What temperature can I rack the wort into my carboys? It's around 120ºF right now. If I'm gentle with it, is there still a danger of oxidation?

Actually you want oxidation at this stage. It's called aeration and is good for a vigorous ferment. The key is not to shock your carboy and crack it from too hot a temp. I don't use glass carboys so someone else may chime in on the temp. That's your only issue.

I thought aeration over 80ºF was bad news. It's actually about 110ºF now, which isn't really all THAT hot. I don't think the carboys would be at risk. I'd just like to get my wort stored safely away from floating nasties asap. I figure I can put the carboys in the fridge and let them chill for a while before adding the yeast. That's safe, right? Hehe, I'm just a little rusty on brewing right now, been a few months.

UPDATE: I had a few chilled gallons of water that I put into the carboys first, then I racked into the cold water. Seemed to work out okay, although the wort and water layered pretty seriously. I shook em around to mix it up, looks okay now.

Back