Christmas gift was a brew kit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiemo

Reaction score
just got a brew kit for x-mas. it came with a partal mash kit. i have brewed a batch with the mr. beer which turned out good. but i have a question with the 5 gallon kit. it came with a fermenting bucket and a carboy. from what i have read the carboy can be used for a primary fermenting or secondary fermenting. this being my first try at brewing (with exception of mr beer) should i just make 2 batches of beer using the bucket for one and the carboy for a second. or should i try the secondary fermentation?
Thanks

Welcome, we've been expecting you. Everything you have read about your kit is pretty much wrong. :D You've come to the right place for brewing knowledge. We are committed (yeah we should really be committed :D) to helping you make great beer, and to getting the most out of this great hobby.

The second container is a "secondary" in the old days your moved your beer to that vessel after only a few days. But we have progressed in brewing knowhow, and we don't rush our beers out of the primary.

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks (or more) and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Brew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Your beer will thank you by waiting.

Welcome to the greatest hobby there is! But just realize that you areno t making koolaid here. To make the best freakin beer possible, ignore what the recipe instructions saym and slow everything down..Your beer will thank you!

:mug:

My vote is to do a 3-week primary fermentation in the carboy and skip the secondary. Since you are pretty new to brewing, you are probably going to have a strong urge to check what the beer in the fermenter looks like throughout the fermentation. Using the carboy means you won't have to open the fermenter to see what's going on.

Myself, I only ferment in carboys. I like to see what my beers are up to every day when I come home from work. The beer spends 20 to 30 days or more in the fermenter, but brewing and bottling only takes a few hours. So for the vast majority of the time that you're waiting for it to become drinkable beer, it's in the fermenter. And it's hard to get any enjoyment out of looking at your fermenter if you can't see what's in it.

Welcome, we've been expecting you. Everything you have read about your kit is pretty much wrong. :D You've come to the right place for brewing knowledge. We are committed (yeah we should really be committed :D) to helping you make great beer, and to getting the most out of this great hobby.

The second container is a "secondary" in the old days your moved your beer to that vessel after only a few days. But we have progressed in brewing knowhow, and we don't rush our beers out of the primary.

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks (or more) and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Brew;

Your beer will thank you by waiting.

Welcome to the greatest hobby there is! But just realize that you areno t making koolaid here. To make the best freakin beer possible, ignore what the recipe instructions saym and slow everything down..Your beer will thank you!

:mug:

thanks for the replay i got the Palmer book "how to brew" also with the kit i just haven't had a chance to read it yet.

with that knowledge i will try a couple different beers (maybe a week apart) one in the bucket and one in the carboy which appears to be a 6.5G. (don't know if a couple cases will last my friends and i month)

my kit did come with a bottling bucket also.

also i read that some people use their mr beer containers for other drinks. i would search but i dont remember what it was they made with it.

thanks again.

Some people will put half of a batch (post-ferment) in their Mr. Beer and bottle the other half.

****in awesome man, you're family/loved ones love you!

If you are going to be fermenting 5G of wort, you'll want 6G or bigger in your fermenter. Pick either the carboy or bucket to do this...I prefer carboys since I can watch the activity and see how clear the beer is getting over the passing weeks. Either will work fine, provided the headspace is adequate and/or you have a big wide unobstructable blowoff tube.

haha, nice, my family got me a couple of brewing books, and 3 brewing kits. Oktoberfest, pilsner and another lager. Fun times :D

if the bucket has a hole in it for a spigot, its intended for bottling and the carboy is your fermentation vessel. If not, sweet, you can have 2 batches of beer going at once!

I like to make a batch in the bucket and then throw it the carboy. Not so much for "secondary fermentation" but to help clear it up. I'm usually not excited about bottling anyways so its nice to have my bucket all clean and ready for when I want to do another batch. The 5 gallon carboys don't have much room for fermentation anyways so it's probably best to start them in the bucket and move to carboy, then bottle whenever you have time.

The first thing I'd do is measure the volume of the carboy. If it's a 6.5 gal, I'd use it as the primary so you can watch the process in amazement.

If the carboy is a 5 gal, use the plastic bucket as your fermentor, keeping it in there until time to bottle. Then, just use the 5 gal carboy to whip up a batch of apfelwein!

once you scratch the insides of the bucket and create your very own "Condos-for-Nasties", use the bucket to store brew gear (away from dust).

Mine has my grain mill, now that my hoses and keg parts have a new home, and my caps and capper no longer live with me.

Do what I did when I first started brewing. (Following upon Revvys advise)
Brew your beer kit and use the primary fermenter.
Take your secondary vessel (carboy) and start some Apfelwein in it.
Wait a while and enjoy!

thanks guys i just finished making a batch of Apfelwein. going to have a bunch to drink in 6-8 weeks

thanks guys i just finished making a batch of Apfelwein. going to have a bunch to drink in 6-8 weeks

Apfelwein??? Try 6 months minimum. Most folks who I know, wouldn't even touch it til it had conditioned for a year, then they loved it carbed up and called it apple champagne.

Anything, be it beer, wine, mead, cider with a high ABV you have to think in terms of months and years, not weeks.

It's best to brew a lot, for one thing, and to brew things of various gravities, that way you will have a pipeline of things in various stages, fermenting, bulk aging, bottle conditioning and drinking. :mug:

Back